Unexpected Small Spacing Between Letters on screen

image description

I am a new user of Libreoffice Writer for Windows 10. When I was typing, I found that there were some weird spaces in the some words such as ‘thermometer’ (Shown in the picture). Could anyone tell me how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Update: I am using libretext 6.3 and the font used is Times New Roman. Deselecting the box did not solve this problem. The problem does not exist in the printed document.

If set, try to disable OpenGL in Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice -> View -> Category: Graphics Output -> Option: [ ] Use OpenGL for all rendering and check whether that fixes your problem. Otherwise please upload a sample file and/or provide spme basic information about

• LibreOffice version in use
  • Font in use
  • Font type (otf, tff,…)
  • Screen HiDPI ?

Please do not use Add Answer but edit your original question to enhance the details of your question. Thanks in advance …

I have had this same problem with some fonts in Windows 7 but the problem only appears on my screen. Printed versions of the same document have the letters spaced evenly. Try printing your document – does the problem still exist??

Update: I am using libretext 6.3 …

What is “libretext”?

This looks like a screen resolution (hardware) issue, If your screen is 96dpi then it can use only the pixels your screen has available. If you zoom to 125% - 200% the spacing should look OK. In any event, it will print OK as printers print at 300 dpi normally (simplistic but OK generalisation). If you pay a fortune for a very high resolution screen probably the issue will go away.

Similar question: How to smooth fonts in Libreoffice Writer 6.4?.

It’s not just a resolution/zoom artifact. The kerning changes disproportionately at different zoom levels. It’s a visual issue in Writer, it doesn’t appear in print or pdf export, and does not happen in other word processors that I checked.

Look here at the spacing between letters at 1% zoom level changes between Writer and a PDF export:
Untitled
(it looks worse in Writer than in the image, seems there is some blur created by the image format or my browser)

It’s clear the pdf zooms through the kerning evenly while Writer is doing a really poor job.

Though it’s only a “visual” bug, it definitely affects readability and is quite displeasing to the eye. I have to adjust my zoom level in 1% increments to find the sweet spot where kerning is correct for decent readability.

This is users helping users; if you feel it is a bug then it is up to you to file a bug report: How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki

For me the questions are: does it affect writing (do I even notice it)? Does it affect output? If not, I get on with my work.