Unintentional "Direct Formating" With CJK Texts Persisted In 7.3.1.3

There was already an earlier discussion in the link below, but Since I’m a code-aware user, tho who’s very new to Writer (from Word which I found too many limitations there), I decided to investigate deeper on some common errors of Writer in the manner of “DEBUGging”.

This thread is therefore “newed” here in the willing to be “technically helpful”, given that the OP per 7.2 is now filled with walkarounds. However, feel free to merge this thread with it if needed, thank you.

PHENOMENA (7.3.1.3):

• Property “Character Direct Formatting” immediately populates with the same sorrounding style (unintentionally) while typing CJK characters, causing “islets of unmanaged formattings amid the well organised styles”.

And I’ve narrowed it down:

• This problem happens with CJK (East Asian) text (haven’t tried Thai etc.), but NOT Latin letters or numbers (in 7.3.1.3).
  • This problem does NOT happen while drag-dropping NOR pasting-as-whichever-type.

DENOISING (1):

Prior above, I’ve cleared the roads, include:

• Pure ODT file from fresh new but no help, showing the bug isn’t document related.

• Extensions are all DISABLED but not help, showing the bug isn’t extension related.

• Happens BOTH overwrite-on-selection AND insert-wherever.

• Tried turned OFF some “Compatibility Options” in Options, but to no avail.

• Windows x64 Edition on Windows 10, UI language=English.

DENOISING (2):

So, I was doubted that the problem is within the core of handling languages of text. However:

• I’ve tried changing the “Languages” of the “Fonts” in the active style but no help, showing the problem isn’t caused by Language Fallback.
  • I’ve tried various fonts with different page ranges but no help, showing the problem isn’t caused by Font Fallback.
  • Also, I’ve set “CTL” language=None but no help, showing the problem isn’t caused by CTL.
  • Then, I’ve tried various settings inside the “Default Fonts” in Options, still to no avail.

Conclusion: Seems it’s Style irrelevant.

POSSIBILITES:

Since I do VB.NET programming (but not C, thus I cannot read the source codes of Libre), the problem maybe, I assume, resides within:

• (1) There maybe some “alien” formatting properties NATURALLY WIHIN any CJK texts, causing Writer always consider it as direct formatting automatically?
  • (2) There maybe procedure misarrangment when handling Style comparison with CJK?

Hope this could be the helping hand for our devs.

WALKAROUNDS (until 7.3.1.3):

• Step 1. Make sure your document is fully “Styled”. Btw, this is always the good practice. To “know” whether a format is “styled” or “direct”, simply put the corsor at the formatted text, and have a glance at the “Style Inspector” panel.
  • Step 2. Select All (Ctrl+A), then Clear Direct Formatting (Ctrl+M). It simply removes all “islets of direct formatting”, and will NOT mess up with anything defined in either Paragraph Styles or Character Styles, so use it bravely.
  • Step 3. While typing, the problem will reoccur. Be Tao or Zen, and ignore that.
  • Step 4. Whenever you want, repeat Step 2 (“Ctrl+A >> Ctrl+M”).

Thanks all. I’ll be glad to participate with the debugging.

Have you tried to enable Options|Language Settings|Languages|[x] Ignore system input language`? The effect of applying direct formatting with language coming from system input is intended. Having all multilanguage input controlled completely through styles would require insane amount of styles, with no way to manage it efficiently.

Hi Mike, I’ve tried with the “Ignore System Input Language” option either ON or OFF, the problem still persists. Also, the settings in the “Language” page are all double-checked and all in proper values.