Unmovable false cursors appear

I opened multiple separate documents, from multiple file formats, and they all have the shown problem, to varying degrees. (Essentially, it shows cursors at the beginning of lines, and I can’t figure out how to remove them.) If it matters, I believe I created the files on a different computer than the one I’m opening them on.
Edit: It seems to happen either more or exclusively to files at least a few months old.

It might be a graphics issue. Click Tools - Options - LibreOffice - View and tick the box Force Skia software rendering. Click OK and you’ll be asked to restart LibreOffice.

If that doesn’t help then please

• give details from Help - About LibreOffice, click the icon next to version information to copy info to clipboard
  • Upload a short sample .odt with the problem
1 Like

Or it might be bookmarks.

1 Like

It was, in fact, bookmarks. Thank you

So, the bookmarks take the shape of the text cursor? My bookmarks are simple vertical bars, wider than the cursor.
Edit:
In the next screenshot there are six bookmarks:

• An empty one to the left of 0, seen as |
  • One for the 1, seen as [ ]
  • One for the 3, and other next to it for the 4, seen as [ | ]
  • One for the 6 (followed by an soft hyphen*), and other next to it for the 7, seen as [ i ], being the i a capital i with serif (like the I-beam pointer).
    *The outcome is similar with a narrow no-break space.
2 Likes

I discounted bookmarks for that reason, I see them as skinny square brackets, same as the initial release notes. I tried putting two back to back but I still cannot get the cursor shape.
BookmarksAsTextCursors
Maybe an OS thing?

1 Like

That might be possible. The files have been on both Linux and Windows, so perhaps the transfer complicated things? I’m not quite sure. That’s why I didn’t think of bookmarks either.

Impressive persistence @LeroyG, that makes sense