Unnamed file's content not recovered anymore

This regards for example battery running out or Windows shutting down to download something.

Why are unnamed files not recovered anymore? The file with a name “unnamed 1, 2, 3…” appears with an added parenthesis “(in the net)”, note that this is perhaps not exact wording, as I use non english version. However the file is empty.

Previously there was no parenthesis, and the file with the name “unnamed 1, 2, 3…” appeared in full with all the text in it unchanged.

My older computer (both Lenovo and Win 10) recovers the text normally.

Has something changed in the program?

If not, where can I change this, if it’s optional?

And is there any way to recover the text of a file like this? (I’ve tried the usual tricks that are used to recover saved/named files, and the issue is not the file, but the content of the file.)

And please, save the advice about naming the files and making backups. I know that, but sometimes I have to take notes fast and then I don’t have time to do anything, but close the lid of the laptop. And then the battery runs out. Previously and with my other laptop this is not a problem.

I appreciate any real insight on the matter.

The question that only you can answer is: Was the file “Untitled x” saved before the laptop failed?

No idea what version of LibreOffice you are using, 24.2?

If the elapsed time hasn’t passed for an automatic backup then there will be just an empty document. As from 24.2 empty documents won’t be recovered, see ReleaseNotes/24.2 - The Document Foundation Wiki and linked tdf#57414

Maybe, save an empty document beforehand that you can write your notes in, then it is just a matter of Ctrl+S every time you pause.

Since the 1990’s I have lived by the mantra “Save early, save often”. It just works

1 Like

Hi Hrbrgr,
No, but it doesn’t matter here. This has happened a 100 times before and it was never a problem before.

Hi Earnest,

LibreOffice 7.5.9.2 is what it says when I click upper right corner and it suggests loading version 7.6.5.

The elapsed time for a backup doesn’t sound probable, but how long does the document have to be open for the autosave?

Yes, I know that it’s stupid not to save from the start, but as this has never been a problem, I’ve just used LO Writer as a notepad and I’ve saved them later.

Anyway, it would be important to know if this can be avoided (something to choose from somewhere) or the document can be found somewhere as a temporary file although it’s unnamed.

And I’m not a software guy, just a user, so can’t find issues from code etc.

Hi Earnest,
Thanks for guiding me to the update of 24.2. The reason was that the tab on autosave was not clicked. I don’t know when it has changed that it’s not automatically on, but I tested and this was the reason. If I understood correctly from the 24.2. update release notes this has been corrected and changed so that autosave is on as a default.
I suppose my document is gone forever (appreciate if someone knows it can be found), but at least I know that in the future I need to check the autosave after every update.

It is for a clean installation, but your preferences are retained during an upgrade in the user folder.

One remote possibility;

1. Go to Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Paths and find the folder path for Temporary files.
    Probably C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\Temp
  2. Navigate to the folder and look for a folder beginning with lu and ending in .tmp, e.g. lu123456ul1.tmp with a date time around the lost file was made.
  3. Inside the folder, look for the largest file and copy that to another folder, e.g. Documents
  4. Open LibreOffice and click File > Open, navigate to and select the copied file. OK

If it is there and you can open it, save it as [anothername].odt

[Edit]
Or you could try this method, How to recover changes that were made to a writer document, but were not saved when computer closed - #7 by sokol92

1 Like

Thanks for really good answers!

The root of the problem might have been that the version I first downloaded to my new laptop didn’t have autosave as default and thus it hasn’t been on. Now I changed this.

I tried to find the files, and found all the temporary ones that existed thanks to your advice, but unfortunately the missing files weren’t there either.

I’ll have to learn to save even the not files as “notes” or something in the future. I’m a bit lazy on these and usually I’ve done just enough. But it was good idea to just save an empty file for this purpose.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

1 Like