Updating a Style changes the text, not the style

I have a paragraph style defined

• Text Color = dark green
  • font = Liberation Mono
  • Font size = 10.5

now I see that font size of 10 would match the rest of the text (Arial 11) a little better, so I

1. mark a paragraph of my Style
  2. change the size to 10 & the color to black for that paragraph
  3. click the Update Selected Style (Shift + Ctrl + F11) button

what happens though is that the selected Paragraph changes back to size 10.5 & dark green instead of modifying the paragraph style (and likewise apply those new setting to any other text using that same style) as expected.

What am I doing wrong here? Is that button just not doing what it is supposed to do and I need to work around this quirk by using the style editor obligatory?

1 Like

Update Selected Style

Please “Note” the reference given there.

2 Likes

me too. I can not use the function Update Selected Style anyhow after 30 minutes trying.
Version: 7.6.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 69edd8b8ebc41d00b4de3915dc82f8f0fc3b6265
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22621; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-CA (en_CA); UI: en-GB
Calc: threaded

a pure new created document can use the function, however, if a paragraph has applied style A and direct formatting B, I can only use the function to style A but not style C.

one of my document has the issue described here, too.

Could you clarify?

Anyway, mixing styling and direct formatting is the guaranteed method to enter formatting hell.

it says,

Click on the Style to be updated in the Styles

Clarification: My trying shows this sentence does not work, no matter which style I click, the updated one is the style which holds my curser

Have you followed the procedure described in Help>LO Help, Updating Styles From Selections article?

Two styles are involved: the one containing the direct formatting to be copied (selected by the cursor) and the one to update (explicitly selected in the style side pane). If you don’t explicitly select a style, the style for the paragraph/character designated by the cursor is implicitly selected.

Read the advice in my answer. By proceeding “methodically”, you’ll meet fewer problems.

Untitled 1.odt (634.0 KB)

see the screen capture in document

I’ll be offline soon, see ya

There is nothing like that in the attached file. The document is mainly empty with no direct formatting anywher.

Works for me:

Version: 7.6.0.2 (x86) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 41d6f628ba3f046f16b5fa9fa8db8d4c2ab3b582
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 6.1 Service Pack 1 Build 7601; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: es-MX (es_MX); UI: en-US

Version: 7.4.7.2 (x86) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 723314e595e8007d3cf785c16538505a1c878ca5
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 6.1 Service Pack 1 Build 7601; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: es-MX (es_MX); UI: en-US

So, what do you mean with

?

Video on Imgur

Ref in help

1 Like

The most reliable way to update a style is to right-click on its name in the side style pane and Modify.

I never trusted Update Selected Style command because I never got the expected result. Documentation says only direct formatting updates the style but it is always difficult to know exhaustively which direct formatting was applied and this may easily completely mess up your style.

I think this command is one of many which were added as quick’n’dirty actions for those coming from M$ Word, not reading documentation and assuming Writer is a drop-in replacement for Word.

In addition, factory Ctrl+Shift+F11 is just Update (in Tools>Customize). What does it update exactly?

It is much better to be rigorous and update manually your style so that you know exactly what you change.