Way to select all plain text with regular expressions?

You didn’t add the information about your LibreOffice.
Menu/Help/About LibreOffice, there is an icon to copy it.
If you do not have 7.5 version, update to it, there was some improvements about dark mode.

Hey if you guys don’t know how to select plain text with regular expressions, or if it’s not possible, just say so.

I asked a simple question, I don’t want to re-format anything. If I was going to do that, I would manually change the color. But there are too many cells.

Libreoffice version is 7.5.2.2

As I wrote for you: there is not one character in an ODF document that is would be a “plain text”. Every content has - at least - a Style with many default properties. The color property maybe is “automatic” or “black” - for example - in the applied Style.
Please upload your SAMPLE file here.

There is not Character style in the spreadsheet application. You can format a text (located in a cell) partially by manual formatting only.

Avoid to use this method - if it is possible.
You can reset these formatting properties by usage the CTRL-M

@Frederico2 , in your example, there are three font colors: automatic, red, blue. There is no black font color.

text.ods (18.6 KB)

1. Better use plain English. I’m not a “guy” in any sense you might think of.
  2. You are not the boss.
  3. You were told that “plain text” isn’t an applicable term in this case. If you are talking about cells that contain differently formatted text portions, you may mean those portions where all attributes match the CellStyle preset for the respective cells. This should be clearly stated.
  4. There is no way in Calc to select special text portions by means like F&R or by user code. Only during interactive editing you can select one special portion.
  5. Bypassing the restriction by user code is partly possible, but complicated. Not recommended!

[I did not study the *answers* below and the related comments.]

1. Here in NA “you guys” is used without reference to the sex of the person, in a plural form similar to ‘you all’. It is common to address groups of persons of either sex or both, or even animals, as ‘you guys’. ‘Dude’ is the same; while the word can be used to specifically mean a man, it is used for both sexes. I don’t care if people get offended, however, because people get offended no matter what you say!

2. ‘Not the boss’. Was I being bossy? My question was simple, I didn’t know if it was possible or not.

3. If people know what I mean, then I have successfully communicated, whatever the “terminology”.

4, 5) Ok.

While handling of cells with colour improves (we can now filter and sort in 7.6) i don’t see a way to solve your problem with regular expressions. These will usually “see” only the text-representation of the contents.
If necessary I’d try this with macros and would have to find out how the segments are coded internally. So nothing “easy”.

It is easy to make a macro to…

…in the content.xml subfile?
I don’t know, so I ask.

My main concern would be the usually existing closure for the style, usually something like </style> and as styles can be nested I can not just delete the next tag. So I will need an xml-parser to do this right. Obviously LibreOffice has one in its source or on may use pythons libraries.
Second problem would be to access the representation of an open file, so better process not the file, where the macro is in…
However: As the answer by @LeroyG suggests: The closure of the style tags may be less important than I think.

A tag can contain several attributes, for example:

<style:text-properties fo:color="#000000" fo:font-weight="bold" style:font-weight-asian="bold" style:font-weight-complex="bold"/>

Therefore, instead of removing the tag, the attribute

fo:color="#000000"

can be replaced with:

style:use-window-font-color="true"

An example of correcting a file (archive) using the Package service is given here. The same approach can be applied to content.xml. I can compose such a macro soon (if someone doesn’t do it sooner).
If the Calc file is open, then to replace the color with a macro, you need to go the other way, adjusting the contents of the cells. I will try to show an effective way for this (if there is interest from the forum participants).

1 Like

It’s included there:

Adding a slash inside the start tag, like <br /> , is the proper way of closing empty elements in XHTML (and XML).

So, let’s try this macro to replace black with automatic.
I spied on working with the XPathAPI service from @ms777 here.

Sub RemoveBlackColor() 
  Dim oPackage As Object, oDom As Object, oNode As Object, oXPath As Object, oNodeList As Object
  Dim oPackageFolder As Object, oPackageStream As Object, oOutputStream As Object, oTempFile As Object
  Dim filePath As String, content As String, arr, nReps As Long, i As Long

filePath=ConvertToUrl("C:\Temp\test.ods") 

oPackage=createUnoService("com.sun.star.packages.Package")
  oPackage.initialize Array(filePath)

content="content.xml"
  oPackageStream=oPackage.getByHierarchicalName(content)
  oDom=createUnoService("com.sun.star.xml.dom.DocumentBuilder").parse(oPackageStream.inputStream)

oXPath=createUnoService("com.sun.star.xml.xpath.XPathAPI")
  oNodeList=oXPath.selectNodeList(oDom.getDocumentElement, "//*[name()='style:text-properties']")

For i=0 To oNodeList.length-1
    oNode=oNodeList.Item(i)
    If oNode.getAttribute("color")="#000000" Then
      oNode.attributes.removeNamedItem("color")
      oNode.setAttribute("fo:color", "")
      nReps=nReps+1
    End If 
  Next i

If nReps=0 Then
    Msgbox "Replacement color not found"
    Exit Sub 
  End If    

oTempFile=createUnoService("com.sun.star.io.TempFile")
  oDom.setOutputStream oTempFile.OutputStream
  oDom.start
  oTempFile.OutputStream.closeOutput

oPackageFolder=oPackage.getByHierarchicalName("")
  oPackageStream=oPackage.createInstanceWithArguments(Array(False))
  oPackageStream.SetInputStream(oTempFile.InputStream)
  oPackageFolder.replaceByName(content, oPackageStream)

oPackage.commitChanges
  Msgbox "Replacement done!"
End Sub

BASIC runtime error.
An exception occurred
Type: com.sun.star.container.NoSuchElementException

Make a copy of your file to test.
Open the content.xml subfile (I used Wordpad, but could be a simple text editor), and delete <style:text-properties fo:color="#000000"/>.
Worked for me.

I can’t find that in the file.
text.ods (18.6 KB)

Delete the two occurrences of fo:color="#000000" in the content.xml subfile, and the first one in the styles.xml subfile.
text_LeroyG.ods (18.8 KB)
Your query is not about that, but I would recommend doing this type of text job with Writer. Character styles would make it easier.

I get

The file ‘text.ods’ is corrupt and therefore cannot be opened. LibreOffice can try to repair the file.

The corruption could be the result of document manipulation or of structural document damage due to data transmission.

We recommend that you do not trust the content of the repaired document.
Execution of macros is disabled for this document.

Should LibreOffice repair the file?

I say yes, and get

The file ‘$(ARG1)’ could not be repaired and therefore cannot be opened.

I must be doing it wrong. I extracted the file I posted with 7zip, and edited the two files. There were two occurrences of fo:color="#000000"in styles.xml, so I replaced it with an empty string, and left the other one. Then I turned the folder into a zip file, and renamed it.

I also tested with 7zip.
I don’t renamed the file. Once opened, selected the subfile, and edited (F4).
After closing, was asked to replace the original subfile.
See if there is a space where fo:color="#000000" was.