When I open a new or existing document on writer, an opaque area appears when my cursor passes over the document. The opaque area changes size/location when I move my cursor. The text remains, just behind this shifting opaque box.

The opaque area shifts around when I move my cursor, but not in the same pattern as I move the cursor. Sometimes a second large cursor |> appears in the opaque area but it disappears when I move my regular cursor. If I move my regular cursor over the opaque area and press the spacebar or begin to type, the opaque section disappears over that line, but remains over most if not all of the rest of the document.I am using a Macbook Pro running the latest OS “Big Sur”.

(edited by ajlittoz to display the screenshot as the paperclip upload tool has been used instead of the “slide” tool)

Try turning off Skia or Vulkan and see if that helps. LibreOffice ▸ Preferences ▸ LibreOffice ▸ View on macOS and uncheck Use Skia for all rendering (or maybe it is Vulkan on Mac?). Cheers, Al

Earnest AI - Thanks for the suggestion. However when I go into View there is nothing about skia or vulcan. I took a screen shot so you can see what the menu says, but apparently it can’t be done here. If you are still interested in this problem, you can email me at tommygun@hawaii.rr.com , or if you are on Twitter my Twitter handle is @tommygun264. Thanks again. - Tom in Honolulu

You can add a screenshot to your question by clicking the edit just below your question and then clicking the paperclip icon

According to question 278143 that user had enabled Direct Cursor Mode (Edit > Direct Cursor Mode), disabling it fixed the issue.

In question 251630 that user removed the Vanilla version of LO (from App store) and installed the version from https://www.libreoffice.org/ and it solved their problem. The Skia (or OenGL) rendering does not seem to have been responsible