Who destroyed base?

I have no clue what has been broken in recent versions. I’m a heavy user of Base. All my forms, some of them rather complex, do work with LO 24.2.

1 Like

LOL.

Basically, it’s complete conspirological %censored%. What happens is just a clear reflection of what paying userbase needs most. Commercial companies are simply not interested in personal database solutions. They pay for what they use. They don’t pay for what they don’t use.

One needs to have a very specific mindset, to invent this “strange” argument. OK, one evil corporation decided to destroy a part of a product - imagine how? by paying development in other parts of the product! Perfect strategy. Let us not notice the fact, that any other company that would happen to need Base, and that would hire any L3 support developer to implement the needed changes, would undo the effect. Let us not notice the fact, that no such interested paying customer appeared in more than a decade of LibreOffice history. Let us just invent attractive theories of villains plotting their dark plans of destruction, without even describing the problem clearly (which was mentioned at least three times already here: in reply #6, reply #18, and now in reply #21).

@Villeroy : If forms have been created and text controls shouldn’t be designed in 3D (haven’t designed so) and fonts for the controls aren’t set to default height you don’t recognize a difference between LO 7.4.7.2 and LO 24.2.
And if you are using Linux with KDE please don’t use multiline textboxes. I don’t use this kind of boxes in most of the forms so the bug doesn’t appear for me, but background of multiline textboxes won’t be shown with KDE and content wont be refreshed.
So: Using Base isn’t the main problem. Creating of forms, which will show the design I want, is a problem.
By the way: When creating databases for other people and they ask how they could help I always answer: Donate for TDF and write “Base support” as reason for the donation.

I always start LO with SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen because gtk is even worse. My productive databases need to run on Windows where all this bling-bling seems to be more stable. Form controls work almost perfectly under Windows, and they look always the same.
format_textbox.odt (27.7 KB)

Both controls of your document will be shown here (LO 7.5 or newer, KDE) without background. So if I switch in a database to next row I will see the content of the first row also. Cant read the right content any more.

grafik

Older Versions of LO (LO 7.4.7.2) will show the background and 3D also, when set and also the right font size 10 pt, which I could see in the properties for the font.

grafik
Have a look of the fonts of your screenshots. In the properties I could see 10 pt by default, but the fonts appear as 8 pt.

See all the bugs I have also posted here at 2024-01-14.

Well, it’s just a formatting issue with work–arounds. It’s far from being “destroyed”. @EasyTrieve is a troll. He does not even mention his OS, let alone any concrete issue.

1 Like

Maybe here:

BTW, I’ve reported lots of Base bugs over many years:

NONE of them have been fixed! A few years ago I just stopped trying this approach.

But now there are many new Base bugs. I thought it couldn’t get worse, but it has. I haven’t even reported a single one of the new bugs to Bugzilla because NONE of the others I ever submitted ever got worked on, so what’s the point? Angry and sad at the same time!!!

LO Base is … rather was the only decent database front end available on Linux. Now there is none.

I think the LO policy of accepting money to work on particular parts of LO is foolish. Any money that comes should be to work on all of LO or the money should not be accepted.

As to those of you who think Larry Ellison would not ever do this sort of thing, well I say to you don’t be naive. He isn’t a billionaire for no reason. He didn’t buy a whole island for himself just out of kindness. He is a shrewd guy, and a real shark.

For a brief time I worked at Sun Microsystems as a contractor writing software. When Larry paid billions to buy Sun what he got was the buildings in Mountain View and some of the customers and the team at that time. Sure that was worth something, but what he probably thought he was going to get was Java, MySQL, and OpenOffice. But each of them he lost: Java leaked out to Google, OpenJDK and many others, MySQL to MariaDB (including the man who mostly wrote MySQL), and OpenOffice to LibreOffice. Sun’s SparkStation hardware to my knowledge never survived the CPU wars. So Larry didn’t get what he thought he was getting for his 7.4 billion dollars!

A relational database is a key part of data processing that’s been with us for 70 years. I’ve been working with databases since the late '70s where I worked at Hughes Aircraft on a mainframe using ISAM with EasyTrieve as the front end. Anyone who doesn’t understand how important this component of data processing is, is really missing something big (literally). For example, most of the web has MySQL underneath it via WordPress. Even this forum runs on a huge database!

For LO not to insist that Base remain a solid component of LO is very foolish I think.

1 Like

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/buglist.cgi?component=Base&list_id=1707637&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED

I had a look at some of your issues and added comments namely 108471, 108547, 107788 and 105039.
Looking at your screenshot, I can hardly spot any issue that has not been around since 2005 when “the Base component” had been added to OpenOffice.org. Yes, there are UX issues, poorly written help files and bad defaults but they have been around sincec decades. Nobody destroyed Base in recent versions.

1 Like

Hmm…

Do I miss something? 11 are fixed; 24 are not. It this what we call “NONE” these days?

1 Like

@EasyTrieve : Screenshot only shows all open bugs. I could also find resolved bugs reported from you: 16 bugs special written for component Base.
By the way: I could find 378 Base-bugs I have reported. Only 127 aren’t solved at the moment…

2 Likes

@Mike, Ok, my bad. You’re right, a few have been fixed over all these years.

But still, between Robert and my reports alone, that still leaves much to be done.

My hope would be that every report be addressed in something like months, not years, and 99% of things fixed, not 15% or so, or whatever the low number is now. … AND that especially new bugs be dealt with so that things aren’t getting worse over time.

I also use Calc and Writer and at times Draw. They don’t have any bugs I know of.

I wish I could help more. I hate to just be a complainer. I did think that taking the time to carefully report bugs was of some minimal help. At one point I spent nearly a year learning C++ but at 65 I’m aware that I’m really too old to deal with this huge code-base, no matter how much I tried.

It’s hard to describe how disrupting having Base not working properly is. I had used it for so very many things, accounting fortunately I am still able to limp along with it, though the user interface is now broken in so many ways that it makes it a real pain to use. It’s also an embarrassment when I try to use it to help my girlfriend.

:+1:
tdf#104768 doesn’t require any c++ :wink:
feel free to answer Olivier’s last comment (from 2021) so that we can finalize a solution to close it !

and more generally, feel free to join

I can assure you that the other modules also have their own bugs, including Draw! I use Draw for my patent application drawings, and sometimes I wonder if I’ll have any hair left at the end of the day when using it. Granted, my is fairly specific, but more crucially, bound to the legal requirements of the patent application filing process.