why won't newly installed version open?

I installed the latest version of the software (7.1.2.2) and it won’t open. How can I reinstall the previous version, which worked? Or get this one to work? And all of my files have disappeared/can’t be accessed.

And all of my files have disappeared

How do you determine that, if your newly installed version won’t open?

Assuming you are on Windows, perform the following Test (this is not a solution) whether LibreOffice user profile is causing the issue:

• Right click -> Run on Windows Start menu (or Windows Key + R)
  • Type "%ProgramFiles%\LibreOffice\program\soffice" --safe-mode into Open text field (including the double quotes)
  • Click OK
  • Click button Continue in Safe Mode
  • Provide feedback using add a comment whether LibreOffice starts this way

Please do **not** use *Add Answer* but use **add a comment** for the feedback (answers are reserved for solutions to a problem on this Q&A site). Thanks in advance …

Using Windows 10 Pro. Tried to open a file, message says “no file found” then tried to configure file history and it says “no usable drive found.” Test didn’t work, just had small black screen pop up, nothing to click after OK.
LibreOffice shortcut is on my desktop, but clicking on it only produces an hourglass, which then disappears.

Please have a look at this guide.

Your question lacks basics to provide an effective answer.

If under Windows, it may be that one: 298583/system-reject-the-saving-the-document

Under Mac, it may be that one: 248186/unable-to-save-or-save-as-any-document-even-in-safe-mode

To show the community your question has been answered, please tag the best answer (), and/or vote for any helpful answer. Else, please edit your question to add information (answers are for solutions only).

(links edited by ajlittoz to make them more user-friendly)