Windows 11 and Libre Office 7.2

I am having nothing but issues with Libre Office 7.2 and Windows 11. Some of my previous Windows 10 documents and spreadsheets will open and work as expected. However, many. and I mean more than a dozen files that I need to work with, will open and shortly close with no error message. Upon attempting to re-open, I receive a prompt to recovery the document, which completes successfully, only to close moments later after re-opening.
Can someone please tell me how to fix this issue? Is it a Windows 11 problem? I have never had issues until moving to Windows 11 with Libre Office. I have attempting both re-installing and full uninstall and re-install of Libre Office to correct it to no avail.
Any assistance would kindly be appreciated.

Sincerely

Stumpy17086

1 Like

I would be tempted to try working in Safe mode and seeing if the problem went away. Click Help > Restart in safe mode > Continue in safe mode then open some documents you have problems with and see if they behave themselves.

If all works well in safe mode then consider resetting your user profile. There are two methods on the linked page, I prefer the manual method of renaming the user folder as I can copy back folders like Template, AutoCorrect, Wordbook, etc easily after the user folder is re-created by LO.

Disclaimer: I haven’t used Windows 11 yet

I have updated two laptops to Windows 11. LibreOffice 7.2.2.2 is installed on both devices, and so far it has not caused any problems.

@stumpy17086 , did you backup your data before updating to Windows 11.

Thanks for the information and your response It is much appreciated. I will indeed consider resetting the user profile. In safe mode, all seems to work just fine.

Thanks for letting me know. This is my first computer with Windows 11. Yes, I did back up my data and learned many years ago the heartache one faces when opting not to take that advice…:slight_smile: However, this was a new build on a new desktop I built and was not an upgrade. The install of Libre was a fresh one from the start. So, I’m hoping it is just a user profile issue, but I’m glad to hear it is working fine for you in Windows 11 on both of your devices and much appreciate your responding to my cry for help. I didn’t really think this problem could be a Windows 11 thing. I honestly don’t think they made that many changes to cause Libre Office such grief. Thanks again!..

Unfortunately, manually resetting the user profile did not correct the problem. As soon as I opened Libre Office after renaming the user folder to user-old, it opened and then closed. The same occurred when attempting to open several of the documents that were originally doing the same. Any further suggestions would be most appreciated.

There is a possibility that it might be Skia not being compatible with your graphics card.
Click Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View and untick the box Use Skia for all rendering, click OK and see if LO stops crashing. Cheers, Al

1 Like

This also worked for me in windows 11, with libreOffice 7.3, thnx!

Thanks for that one, Al! That did the trick! Once unchecking the Skia and restarting Libre Office, all documents are now opening and no crashes so far. Much appreciate the support!