Windows installer fails

I tried installing libreoffice using the windows installer. There are two files I had to download. I ran into trouble with the first, which is for the program. At a certain point a window pops up telling me to first exit libreoffice. but, of course, I can’t do that because I haven’t yet installed it. My only options at that point is to click Ok and then the installer terminates without doing the installation.

What is wrong?

Closed, this is not a question, and the corresponding issue (reinstalling over an older version) was answered here:

That’s a known issue, were you upgrading to 3.5 from a previous version ? I believe the reported bug is here.

In any case, as a workaround, I would suggest completely removing any existing LibreOffice installation and profile (type %APPDATA% in the search box in the Start menu to locate your profile), then try reinstalling again.

LibreOffice 3.5 has this bug fixed so it should not happen when upgrading again (from 3.5 to something else).

What worked for me is starting an admin cmd prompt and running the installer from there.