Write: List Box without database

I am creating a fillable form in Write. The goal is to export as a PDF, so users on most platforms can fill out and print or email the PDF. Most of the fields are text fields, but one has a field with only three valid options. For this, I want to use a list box with a drop-down, so the user can choose which of the three valid options they want.

The conventional way to do this apparently is to create a database with a table, and that table has entries of what you want available. I did that, and was able to get the fields to show up. But then I changed something and the database link appeared to go away. A workaround was to create another list box and let the wizard relink, but I once again lost that list. After all the fighting (including installing a suitable Java runtime) to get this to work, it seems like a silly excercise just to get three values to populate in a drop-down box. I just want to be able to type in the three options in one of the properties of this control, but can’t find a way to do that.

Is it possible to add options for a list box directly in the List Box Control properties, and not have to use a database/SQL query as the source? If so, how?

Hello,

You do not need to attach a list box to a database or any field. The list can be set using a Valuelist.

Properties of list box - Data Tab, Type of list contents is Valuelist:

image description

On the general Tab:

set line items with List entries - new line = Shift + Enter

Set Dropdown if wanted.

Sample with & without dropdown ------ ListBox.odt

Note that second LB seems taller than needed but will be necessary for PDF. Try various tests.

This worked, thank you! Note: I had to put a trailing newline after the last entry, otherwise it would show that last entry as blank in macOS Preview. It did work correctly in Adobe Reader, though.