tldr; I cannot save a Writer template. Error message is "Cannot save template: "
Long ago I created a template for PDF files that had been converted to .docx. Somehow while tweaking the template formats, I saved it with the contents of a file (rather than no text) and now new documents open with that old file instead of a blank sheet. In trying to fix this, I find I cannot save a Writer template under any circumstances.
I’m running MacOS 10.15.7 on an older MacBook Pro. This is the latest OS my hardware supports. Just upgraded to LibreOffice 188.8.131.52 in the process of troubleshooting. It did not make any difference.
In troubleshooting, I finally arrived at this point:
- Open LibreOffice
- Create a new Writer document
- Create: > Writer Document
- Immediately try to save as a template under My Templates
- File > Templates > Save As Template > My Templates > “Trial” > Save
- I receive the error: “Cannot save template: Trial”
- OK > Cancel
- Styles > Manage Styles > Load Styles
- I see a file “Trial.ott”
- It seems to load OK. No errors.
- I change the “Default Paragraph Style” font from “Liberation Serif, Regular, 12” to “Arial, Bold, 14”
- File > Templates > Save As Template > My Templates > “Trial2” > Save
- I receive the error: “Cannot save template: Trial2”
- Restart LibreOffice. Create new blank document. Load styles. I see trial2.ott
- Load styles from trial2.ott [check “text” and “overwrite”], but the Default Paragraph Style is Liberation Serif. The font change did not save into the template, or was not read from it.
- Now I try to save the blank document, and receive an error.
- Error saving the document Untitled 1: Write Error. Error in writing sub-document styles.xml.
I’ve reached the limit of my knowledge. Can anyone help?