Writer does not save page style (with modified margins)

I believe I have the same problem as Writer doesn't save page styles - #2 by Hrbrgr,
in writer 7.6.1.2 (X86_64). But I am saving as .odt, so the answer there does not solve my problem.

A major (but not the only) use case for me in MS Word / LibreOffice Writer is to combine photographs into a single pdf (to send them as documents, and to reduce file size), for which I want to reduce margins to 0 on all sides. In MS Word, if I create a new layout , it remembers that layout and it will be suggested to me the next time I want to select a different layout. In LibreOffice, I have tried creating a new page style (in page style pane > rightclick > new, create a new style with margins=0), and creating a template, and both I was not able to find again when opening a new document.

One suspicion is that margins are not handled by “page style”, but then that settings for margins should not be available when defining a new “page style”. Also, it does not solve page styles not being remembered.

Can you provide more information on how and where you are saving the new template? Also, what is your process in opening a new document?

Margins are configured in page styles and nowhere else.

If you created a brand new page style (not modifying Default Page Style), have you applied it? By default, Writer starts with Default Page Style.

If you saved your “template” (is it an .ott file or a .odt one?), you should find your custom page style in the side style pane list of page styles.

For better advice, attach your “template” to your question (directly reopen it and modify it; don’t use a comment).

So you need a template, and then also a new style within that template? That’s really hard to find out on ones own. Thank you (though I haven’t tried it).

My default now has no margins, I’ve no idea what option caused that.

I am completely in the dark because you didn’t attach the offending file (or an anonymised version of it). You use word “template” but I don’t know if you mean the lay man significance of it (just a model of the desired result) or the technical Writer-specific template file with extension .ott. For a definitive answer, attach your file.

For me there’s nothing else needed; sorry, I think I wasn’t clear about that. If I ever am going back to LibreOffice, I’ll refer back to what you wrote above. Thanks a lot for your help!

IMHO it is not good to give up before all help has been exhausted. Everyone can learn something new every day.

Document Templates in Writer

English documentation