Writing a book?

Thank you for your reply!

I’m writing a book with LibreOffice 7.5.5.2 (OS Linux 5.15) I’ve got now 2 monitors however the file of my book is .odt. I would like on 1 monitor a general overview of my book and on monitor 2 the document I’m working! As seen from your comment I think I need a Master and Sub document(s)?

Please, elaborate more on your question (to do that, modify your question, don’t use a comment; this is not a forum but a Question & Answers site). Don’t forget to mention OS name and LO version in full (4 numeric components like 7.5.3.1 or, better, paste data from Help>About LO).

Tell us what you want to do: display several pages, have a different view on each monitor, … ???

A presentation (created with Impress) is quite different from a book (created with Writer). Writer manages a text flow while Impress manages a collection of independent slides. Formatting is less sophisticated in Impress than in Writer. So it is important to know your goal to give advice.

An .odm file is not a “presentation”. It is a master document intended to bind separate Writer documents (think of chapters or various reusable contractual clauses) into a single synthetic book.

Modify your comment doesn’t mean that you delete the original. This is a question & answer site, where people can first look for answers to their questions before asking a question, but that only works when you keep your original question.

Also asked on the Dutch language section. See Boek d.m.v. .odm?.

Which one? From whom? ???

Be kind to contributors (and visitors). You’ve aroused curiosity with your initial question but you provided no additional information. Please note we are benevolent and not committed by any constraining agreement. We just share our accumulated knowledge. Be kind to us. Also any visitor or user in need coming by chance on your post will not understand what is at stake and won’t be able to see if the problem is the same.

Many visitors are not fluent in English and even less in Dutch. So if you give more details in the Dutch leg, duplicate them here. If you get a satisfactory answer, be kind enough to copy it (in English, even if translation is not Shakespeare’s standard) here for other’s benefit.

I suggested that he should insert his complete book into a master document, so that he can view it in the master document on one screen, and edit the child document on the other.

Note that you can click Window > New Window to create a second Writer window looking at the same file but at a different place and zoom level. Unfortunately, not a different page view.
I find that having one screen set on Table of Contents allows me to quickly refer elsewhere in the document.

1 Like

Floris, kun je me vertellen hoe ik dat doe?, want dit is precies wat ik wil.
Is dit mogeliijk?

Zie Nederlandse sectie / See Dutch section.

menu:WIndow>New Window
Put one of the windows on the other scrreen with page preview (Ctrl+O) plotting as many pages as you need (multiple pages preview).

3 Likes

Because my english isn’t that good, could you explain your reply with screenshots/images please?

And with a Master document is working easier?

Click Window > New Window

To see two windows, drag one to the other screen

Click Print Preview in one screen and select the number of pages to view

It is not “easier”, it is a different approach to document management. It is recommended when you share various parts across different independent documents (such as a common licence statement repeated over and over in all your documents) or when you have a really huge documents (let’s say more than 1000 pages) where you break them into smaller parts.

Be aware that master+sub- documents introduce new constraints and limitations (notably in cross-referencing) to balance the added flexibility.

Thank you very much!

Finally, this is what I wanted!

Kind regards,

Eduard Lid

P.s. I suppose the image (book) is a Master document?

Ok, many thanks!

It doesn’t work (probably because I work with Linux).

Duplicate of Working with 2 monitors? ?

‘I find that having one screen set on Table of Contents allows me to quickly refer elsewhere in the document.’.

Can you explain how you do this?
Thanks!

You can have two views of the same document in separate windows. However, control-clicking on a TOC entry will scroll this window to the heading, not the other. So, this is no what you are looking for.

Display the Navigator in the side pane (or F5 and dock it). Provided your headings are correctly styled with Heading n family of paragraph styles, double-clicking on one of the titles in the Headings section will scroll your window there.

The Headings section shows what would be in the TOC, even before it is generated.

Is this the solution?

The Master document on screen 1 and
the Sub document(s) on screen 2?