All Headings are numbered 0

In head00.odt, why are the four Heading6 numbered 0 instead of 0, 1, 2, …?
(https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qlPFeI_Q_JlROCVnyeh2V5KuTJ8LbUHh&authuser=tab4217%40gmail.com&usp=drive_fs)

Added information in a later post, floris v
I could not find how to edit my question, so, I used ‘Suggest a solution’.
head00.odt (16.8 KB)
Version: 7.4.0.1 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 43e5fcfbbadd18fccee5a6f42ddd533e40151bcf
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19043; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-CA (en_CA); UI: en-US
Calc: CL

Can’t dowload from GoogleDrive. Edit your question to attach your file directly. While at it, mention OS name and LO version.
Please, don’t use a comment but edit your question.

1 Like

This is loosely based on Head2Difa.odt from question Why is Heading 2 font wrong?

I would guess that somehow Restart Numbering has been applied to those Headings.

Head2Difa82810.odt (16.3 KB)

If you want them all sequentially numbered, the most simplistic way I could think to fix it is:

• Open Edit > Find and Replace (Ctrl+H) and click the box Paragraph Styles
  • In Find select Heading 6 and click Find All
  • In the Sidebar in the Styles pane select List styles and double click No List
  • Click Tools > Chapter Numbering, in the Numbering tab click on Heading 6 and then under heading Numbering change Number: to 1, 2, 3...
  • OK the dialogue and close Find and Replace dialogue.

How? I could not find a button to do that.

1 Like

You have created a conflict by overspecifying heading numbering. It should only be enabled by tuning Tools>Chapter Numbering but you added some list numbering, probably by pressing a toolbar button. This becomes obvious when you switch the style to Text Body (put the cursor in the heading and press Ctrl+0 [zero]). The “heading” should now be unnumbered while a bold 0: a still displayed. In addition, in the last heading, word “Travail” is still bold, betraying direct formatting.

You must then suppress your list direct formatting by pressing the “No list” toolbar button or Ctrl+Shift+F12. After that, reapply Heading 6. Everything is back to normal.

Golden rule 1: direct formatting is not your friend, work exclusively with styles
Contrary to common belief, direct formatting requires expert knowledge to be used wisely. It is not intuitive at all.

Golden rule 2: never, never, never, … (seventy-seven times) apply twice the same feature from different sources (e.g. chapter numbering and list numbering) to the same “object”; conflict is guaranteed.

2 Likes

… and likely @TAB used a “Add to list” function, with all the intervening “First line indent” paragraphs being actually part of some other list, but neither actual numbered items, nor unnumbered ones … confusing, some nightmare of internal breakage.

“you added some list numbering” Really? No ListStyle is highlighted in screenshot head00LstSty.png
“in the last heading, word “Travail” is still bold, betraying direct formatting”
How? Heading6 is defined to be bold.

I disagree with your Golden rule 1. direct formatting (paragraph) IS my friend. I use it all the time to write equations, adjusting TabStops, formatting variables in italics and|or bold, subscripts, exponents, …

Yes.

And also -

So all your paragraphs have some remnants of “your friend” direct formatting. If you believe it is your friend, please be prepared to fight with its remnants…

You seem to have ignored everything @ajlittoz wrote immediately prior to the “betraying direct formatting” - specifically, the “This becomes obvious when you switch the style to Text Body” - so the point was, the bold was kept even after switching to another paragraph style. Style inspector allows to see that directly, too:

1 Like

I could not find how to edit my question, so, I used ‘Suggest a solution’.
head00.odt (16.8 KB)
Version: 7.4.0.1 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 43e5fcfbbadd18fccee5a6f42ddd533e40151bcf
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19043; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-CA (en_CA); UI: en-US
Calc: CL

EditPost

Please don’t use Solution if it is not an answer. You could instead click the text bubble icon to the right of Edit this post to create a comment.

1 Like

Copied content to OP. I can’t delete the post, TAB needs to do that himself, or a moderator.

Hi TAB
I’m not sure why it happened, though all I did was deleted the count Headings and recreate the count, seems to work ok.
You can delete the numbers underneath the subheadings (even numbers) and main headings will update.
Please see updated file.
head00.odt (14.2 KB)

Inspired by ajlittoz (Thank you!):
● ^h, “Find all” Heading6; close; highlights remain;
● click NoList or hit Ctrl+Shift+F12; all 0’s disappear; highlights remain;
● ^h, “Replace all” Heading6: numbered 0, 1, 2, …: OK!