Why is Heading 2 font wrong?

In Head2Dif.odt, both lines are Heading 2. The second has the wrong font. Why?
^m or double-clicking Heading 2 does not help.
Head2Dif.odt
Version: 7.1.4.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: a529a4fab45b75fefc5b6226684193eb000654f6
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19043; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-CA (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: CL

You have a character style, Char3Attributes, applied to the second heading. The first heading has direct formatting applied to it. The third heading style is before the margin. You cannot change level by tabbing, etc.

I really think you would be better off creating new document with Heading styles based on the defaults and just change what you need to create the styles you need. Then paste in your existing text as Text Only and apply the appropriate styles, it might take less time. Whoever set up the defaults in LibreOffice knew something about layout and typography.

‘The first heading has direct formatting applied to it.’
You are right. And ^m restores the Heading2Font (Arial, bold, 24pt)
Thank you for noticing the Char3Attributes style applied to the second heading. (I extracted Head2Dif.odt from a document I inherited from someone else.) Why does ^m not restore the Heading2Font?
Ah! Clicking DefaultCharterStyle in the Style menu does! Good enough for me…
What do you mean by ‘third heading’?

Third heading is created by a return due to having it as the next paragraph rather than Text Body. It is rather the point of a document to have text in it, not just headings.

I do not know what went wrong in your Heading styles, but I see, that you have applies Heading styles as “Next style” in the style properties. It is wrong. If you want some text after the Headings, it is better to set Default or Text body or some similar paragraph styles as “Next style”.

The “Next style” means: the LO will apply the style given in the next style for the next paragraph automatically, when you hit an Enter at end of the actual paragraph. I do not think that you want use header styles ONLY in your document.

‘It is wrong.’ Why? It is logical to begin a section (Heading 2) with a subsection (Heading 3). ‘If you want some text after the Headings’ … I can easily override the “Next style” with Default or Text body, as you suggest.

It is not wrong. It is just looks unexpected. A workflow where all text is required (or at least mostly placed) under 3rd heading level naturally makes Heading 3 in Heading 2's “Next style” a reasonable choice, and it would automatically remind the author to define a Heading 3 when one starts typing text after a Heading 2. It’s just not widely used, because it’s often not required that text only goes under certain level; and subchapters usually only go after some introductory text put right under the upper level’s heading - that’s why people find your setup strange.

I changed character style from CharAttribute3 to DefaultCharacterStyle, re-numbered (f12), and deleted the old number ‘1.2’; messy! Head2Difa.odt has, finally, the correct format.Head2Difa.odt