Base - Report - Crashes

I am having a problem creating reports using the LibreOffice Base Report application.

I am trying to migrate an Access database to Base. I have migrated the 3 tables into an embedded Base odb file, and I have a working query. I am now trying to create forms and reports.

I am moving from an old XP systems to a new dual boot system: Window 7 Pro, and Linux Mint 17.2.

Some key new system parameters: cpu i7, 16 GB memory, and 1 TB hardfile. So, I do not think my problems are due to the lack of system resources.

Linux Mint 17.2: LibreOffice v5.4.5.1 and Java 1.7.0_151

Win 7 Pro: LibreOffice v5.4.5.1 and Java 1.8.0_161

I will try to summary my crash experiences since the details are too long for posting at this time.

1. I migrated the 3 tables to Base (embedded database).
2. I created the query using the parameter LIKE code suggestion from Ratslinger (Mar 13th).
3. Depending upon which database copy and when I was working on the report, I only have the report wizard option available.  When I first started I think I had both the “design” and “wizard” options.
4. I created a report using the wizard and saved the report as rpt_Report_01.
5. I started editing the report with periodic saves of the report.
    ◦ Added 3 levels of grouping
    ◦ Added group subtotals using =Accumulate(field) for the 3 groupings.
    ◦ Adjusted font size for the data to 8.
    ◦ Adjusted field widths to try to fit my data on the page.
6. During the editing process, I got multiple crashes.  I think the crashes are related to overlapping data fields as I was adjusting data field placements and widths.
7. Selected “Recovery” when reopening the database.  This may not have been a good choice based on researching some other AskLibreOffice postings.  “Recovery” only recovers some of the information in the database.
8. I lost my existing rpt_Report_01 after the recovery, and I needed to recreate the report.
9. At some point, after one of the recoveries, I got a dialog box saying I needed to install libreoffice-report-builder.
10. Installed libreoffice-report-builder using the Linux Mint Software Manager.
11. The libreoffice-report-builder-bin is also currently installed (not a new add).  I think this came with the LibreOffice v5.4.xx install.
12. Now I have a different report wizard format.  This may be an older Sun version?
13. The new report wizard creates a report with several different format options.
14. However, the edit mode of the new report does not seem to provide the ability to change groupings, nor add subtotals for the existing groups.

What should be my next steps:

1. Uninstall the libreoffice-report-builder?
2. Uninstall LibreOffice and reinstall?  Which version to reinstall?
3. Is LibreOffice Base Report stable and usable?
4. What are the reporting alternatives for embedded databases?
5. Any other suggestions?

Hello,

You have stated a number of items in your question. Excuse me if I miss something.

I avoid the default embedded DB except for testing & samples. You should convert to at least a split DB (DB info not contained in .odb)

After a crash you should select ‘Recovery’ and typically the result will be no loss of data. Your situation happens on occasion. Always have a backup when working with important data.

Upgrade the JRE on the Mint system to the latest version. Version 7 is too old.

All of what you stated on creating reports doesn’t seem to present a problem. My answer here Base: sort before groups shows multiple groupings & contains a sample. My answer here How to reuse an accumulated value in a Report? shows various totaling methods.

Libre Base stopped using libreoffice-report-builder sometime back in v4.x and changed to include Oracle Report Builder through current version. This is probably why your reload looks so different. I can only suppose you may have some corruption in your version. Personally I would remove the existing version completely (including the user profile - make copy first - LibreOffice user profile) and then re-install LO.

Oracle Report Builder works although you need to jump thru some hoops sometimes to get results wanted. There have been no improvements to it for many, many years. There are other Report generators available which work with DB’s used by Base. My preference is Jaspersoft Studio and the associated browser accessible report server. However, these other generators require you to be using a DB other than embedded HSQLDB (such as split DB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)

If this answers your question please tick the :heavy_check_mark: (upper left area of answer). It helps others to know there was an accepted answer.

Ratslinger, thank you for your Mar 22nd response.
You provided several suggestions that will take me a little time to implement.
The upgrade of Java from v7 to v8 is not easy. Mint 17.2 seems stuck at version 7. I will have to find a way to PPA an upgrade to a later version.

@JoeLibreOffice You can get latest Java JRE from Oracle (click here). You can install multiple on system without a problem. I have four right now.

I am back online after breaking a leg (no fun). I removed LibreOffice and the user profiles, reinstalled LibreOffice 5.6.4.2 and installed Java 8 using the launchpad PPAs.
But, I can not connect to to the Base tables in my odb file.
The connection to the external data source could not be established. No SDBC driver was found for the URL ‘sdbc:embedded:hsqldb’.
Do I need to install libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb, or some other package(s)?

@JoeLibreOffice Extremely sorry to hear of your unfortunate mishap. Wishing you all the best.

Although Java 8 should work, not sure why you didn’t go for the latest Java 10? You do know (hopefully) you need 32-bit JRE for 32-bit LO & 64-bit JRE fro 64-Bit LO.

With that in place insure the LO settings are correct. See my answer in this post → problem with Java.

One more thing. Is the .odb you are referring to an Access connection? If so, there is a problem with this connection in 64-bit LO. See → I got error “The connection to the data source “DB file name” could not be established.”

Ratslinger, thank you for your help.
java version “1.8.0_171”, Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_171-b11), Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.171-b11, mixed mode).
Do I need to install libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb, or some other package(s)?
How do I verify LibreOffice is 64 bit?
I am missing radio buttons and check boxes on the various Tool > Options menus.

Don’t understand what the Java stuff is. What are you saying there? There is no need to install any such thing as ‘libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb’. You don’t know what you installed? Look on Tools->Options->LibreOffice->Update. X86_64 is 64-bit. While there make sure on LibreOffice->View uncheck Use OpenGL for all rendering. See if that fixes missing checkboxes & buttons.

I think my LiberOffice installation has a problem. The radio buttons and check boxes are missing on the various Tools > Option menus. Hence, I was trying to verify the 64 bit Java and 64 bit LiberOffice. The Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Update is not available on the menu… I do not have “Update” or anything similar!
I am missing the Radio Button on the “Use OpenCL for all rendering”.
Is it time to reinstall LO. If so, which PPA: launchpad or libreoffice, or an install using deb file?

@JoeLibreOffice Here is the link you need for PPA (Ubuntu based) →
“LibreOffice Packaging” team

For Windows just get directly from TDF (The Document Foundation) → LibreOffice.

I want to thank Ratsinger for his patience and suggestions. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get LibreOffice Base working on my Linux Mint systems. I can work with the odb file in the Windows environment. For the time being, I am working with the file in Windows and will continue to try later troubleshoot the Linux environment. I have summarized by debug activities in my separate answer to the form question below (need more text than allowed for comments. Thank you!

I am trying to migrate an ACCESS database from the old XP system to the New Desktop, preferably using the Linux Mint operating system. Hopefully this information might be useful to others.

180522_BaseDebugInfo_01.odt

With Linux systems you need to connect using a JDBC driver → UCanAccess has worked for me for years now. Also works in Windows (good for 64-bit Win with 64-bit LO) - already gave how-to link in one of my earlier comments.