Data Base keeps telling me I need Java (on mac).

I’m using Mac, system 10.15.7. I tried to open a new data base, but was told I need to install JDK. So I did that, and JRE 11.0.10 is now installed. However, I’m still being asked to install a JRE. I’ve looked at previous threads, and all I can see is that if my LO is 64bit, My Java should also be 64 bit. I presume they must both be 64, as 32 won’t run on Catalina. What should I do?

For macos you need JDK not JRE, please read here:

How to install Java (JRE/JDK) so that LibreOffice could use it?

was told I need to install JDK. So I did that, and JRE 11.0.10 is now installed.

You were told to install a JDK and installed a JRE. Why?

> However, I'm still being asked to install a JRE.

yes - LibreOffice requires the JRE, which is part of the JDK. If you install the JRE only, LibreOffice can’t deal with it (a JDK always contains a JRE).

I installed JDK 11.0.10. The file on the Java web page is called jJAVA dk-11.0.10_osx-x64_bin.dmg. However the LO advanced settings says only “Java runtime environments (JRE) already installed: Oracle Corporation Version 11.0.10.” When I try to open a data base, it first said I need to install JRE, and now I get the message “No Java installation could be found. Please check your installation”. So what else am I supposed to do?

Ok - if you are using LibreOffice version 7 you may be affected by bug tdf#135479 LO Complains about missing JDK when accessing any Java functionality, despite recognizing JDK on macOS under Preferences. What’s your LibreOffice version exactly?

Btw: What is “Java web page” exactly (link)? [There are plenty of websites to get JDK from].

I downloaded from here: Java SE Development Kit 11- - Downloads | Oracle United Kingdom

My LO is 7.0.3.1. I had assumed that it updated automatically, but I’ll check and update if necessary.

As far as I can see bug tdf#135479 has been fixed in 7.0.4. So install that version.

> had assumed that it updated automatically,

This only happens on Linux distributions using the distributions version through their specific package manager. All native TDF releases from libreoffice.org require manual update installation (downloads may be automatic)

Updated t0 7.0.4.2, and the problem seems to have been solved. Thanks.