Docx file: Only header and footer are visible, no content, page blank

Hi,

In LibreOffice 7.6.6.3 x64_64 on Ubuntu 22.04 the content of a simple MS Word .docx document is not displayed. Only the header and footer are visible.
The same is on Windows 10 with LibreOffice 24.2.2 same document, same results.

On Windows 10 with MS Word 2016 and 2019 the document is opened correctly. No problems there.
The document:
20240425_FOR_Sleuteloverdracht.docx (33.3 KB)

And what should we see in the file?
On my Fedora 40, LO 7.6.6.3, the document opens as a single page containing a title-styled paragraph (FPR Sleuteloverdracht) with direct formatting overlaid in addition to header and footer, followed by an empty Default Paragraph Style paragraph.

By chance, have you configured some dark theme?

Word 2016:

Writer 24.2:

I’m not sure, what @Asgroep expects here, on a user-to-user “How do I” questions-and-answers site. This is a topic for a bug report.

From the screenshot, it looks as if there is an embedded or linked object. perhaps the file is missing. But this does not explain why ordinary text is not displayed.

I am not familiar at all with M$ encoding, but looking into the DOCX word/document2.xml, there is nothing more than what is displayed.
There is a w:altChunk … where the “object” shows up but I don’t see to what it corresponds.

No dark theme configured, this is what i can see:

Do you see more text on Fedora 40 with LO?

Thanks for adding the screenshots from LO and Word.
I’m not sure if it is a bug, maybe something other is odd here.
But thanks to you all for looking into it with your technical insights and experience

Exactly same view. I had a look at the file contents (inside zipped elements) and I am a bit puzzled because I don’t see “pointers” to the inserted “object”.

I followed your tips and extracted the docx, I’m not familiar with docx format or structure but i did found some clues.

The document2.xml only contains:

<w:document>
<w:body>
<w:p w:rsidRPr="00426B58" w:rsidR="00AA1C63" w:rsidP="0051359B" w:rsidRDefault="00AA1C63">
<w:pPr>
<w:pStyle w:val="title"/>
<w:rPr>
<w:rFonts w:cs="Arial"/>
</w:rPr>
</w:pPr>
<w:r>
<w:rPr>
<w:rFonts w:cs="Arial"/>
</w:rPr>
<w:t>FOR Sleuteloverdracht</w:t>
</w:r>
</w:p>
<w:p w:rsidRPr="00AA1C63" w:rsidR="006605F8" w:rsidP="0051359B" w:rsidRDefault="006605F8"/>
<w:altChunk r:id="AltChunkId1"/>
<w:sectPr w:rsidRPr="00AA1C63" w:rsidR="006605F8" w:rsidSect="008E2F62">
<w:headerReference w:type="default" r:id="rId6"/>
<w:footerReference w:type="default" r:id="rId7"/>
<w:pgSz w:w="11906" w:h="16838"/>
<w:pgMar w:top="1560" w:right="1417" w:bottom="1417" w:left="1417" w:header="708" w:footer="708" w:gutter="0"/>
<w:cols w:space="708"/>
<w:docGrid w:linePitch="360"/>
</w:sectPr>
</w:body>
</w:document>

Referencing to an (maybe OLE?) object in the file afchunk.mht. This file contains:

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/related;
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-MimeOLE: Produced by Qlink

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

When i decode the base64 message, i do get the document content:

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body> <style type="text/css"> table{} td{} th{} img{float:left;} v{mso-position-horizontal:left;mso-position-horizontal-relative:text;mso-position-vertical-relative:text;} td.noprint {display:none;} #tblProcessFlowChart div {} </style> <div id="ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ChildContent1_divExport"> &nbsp;
<table cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" style=" border-width:0px; clear:both; height:234px; width:472px;border-spacing:1px !important;border-collapse:separate !important"> <thead> </thead> <tbody> <tr> <td style="background-color:rgb(204, 204, 255); vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px">Soort sleutel (ruimte/object)</td> <td style="vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="background-color:rgb(204, 204, 255); vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px">Reden van overdracht&nbsp;&nbsp;</td> <td style="vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px"><br> &nbsp;</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="background-color:rgb(204, 204, 255); vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px">Datum overdracht&nbsp;&nbsp;</td> <td style="vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px">&nbsp;</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="background-color:rgb(204, 204, 255); vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px">Naam <strong>ontvanger</strong>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td> <td style="vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px">&nbsp;</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="background-color:rgb(204, 204, 255); vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px">Handtekening&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td> <td style="vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px"><br> &nbsp;</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="background-color:rgb(204, 204, 255); vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px">Naam <strong>uitlener</strong></td> <td style="vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px">&nbsp;</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="background-color:rgb(204, 204, 255); vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px">Handtekening&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td> <td style="vertical-align:top;text-align:left;border:solid black 1px"><br> &nbsp;</td> </tr> </tbody>
</table>
<br>
<em>Dit formulier moet door beide partijen ondertekend zijn anders is het formulier niet geldig.<br>
De huidige eigenaar van de sleutel blijft daarmee zelf verantwoordelijk.</em><br>
<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp; </div></body></html> 

Which is the content of the document.

So i think the docx file contains all the elements to make the document work is MS Word and LO.
What could be the cause of the problem in LO?

Edit:
I did found in /_rels/document2.xml.rels the xml line:
schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/relationships/aFChunk" Target="/word/afchunk.mht" Id=“AltChunkId1” />
Which might be the missing pointer?

tdf#151080

This looks exactly like your bug report from 1,5 years ago. Thanks for the link!
So to conclude LO does not support .mht files linked from altChunk elements…

Like ajlittoz described it as: “Strictly speaking this is not a .docx document but something wrapped in a .docx container. Even if you succeed extracting the two parts I mentioned above, they are not basic data meant to be managed by Writer.”
I was hoping that this problem was more easy solvable, but this looks like it is not going to work in LO soon.
Can i add to the bug report or vote it up somehow?

I still don’t see how the w:altChunk elements links with the *.mht file. I could not guess where the “glue” between the document encoding and the file lies. Note I have looked at all the sub-files in the zip container. It may be in one I have not opened.

To “refresh” a bug report, you can add a comment telling the same behaviour is still present in your LO release (pasting the result of Help>About LO) or adding yourself to the CC list.

The relations of word/document2.xml are defined in word/_rels/document2.xml.rels. The latter contains an entry for AltChunkId1 referenced from w:altChunk element by r:id:

<Relationship Type="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/relationships/aFChunk" Target="/word/afchunk.mht" Id="AltChunkId1"/>

We consider CC count as a measure of impact of the issue. The number of comments doesn’t matter (and in fact, issues with a large number of comments are less manageable). Of course, comments adding new and important bits of data are a different thing, and are very welcome.

So: if you want just to increase the issue’s importance (without any guarantee! :slight_smile:), please just CC yourself to the bug. If you can add some missing bits that could be helpful to implement it, please also add a comment.

Thank you!

1 Like

In addition, i just opened this docx with mht altChuck in Google Docs: it does not work there either! Same result as in LO.