how do I show column a

Column A has disappeared and all the steps I take to show it fail. I did not hide column a. How do I get it back?

Hello,

• Select all cells clicking the square at the intersection of row and column headers
  • Move mouse pointer to any column header
  • Right click -> Show columns

image description

Hope that helps.

If the answer helped you to solve your problem, please click the check mark (:heavy_check_mark:) next to the answer.

Didnā€™t work. But thanks for tryingā€¦

I tried adding a column, but it just adds another b column in front of the existing b. Column a is still there, as when I put the pointer to the intersection of rows/columns at the upper left, the Name Box shows ā€œA1:AMJ1048576ā€ Any other suggestions?

It could be if your column A is very narrow, but not exactly 0 (e.g., 0.01 cm; then Show Columns doesnā€™t change it).But in that case, the mouse pointer should turn into resizing cursor when near the leftmost part of column headersā€¦

You may try to enter A:A into Name box and press Enter; then go to menu Formatā–øColumnsā–øWidth, and set some normal width.

1 Like

Thank you, Mike. But that doesnā€™t work, either. I tried different combinations of the suggestion, and still, no joy. Itā€™s not an absolutely vital column, but it would be nice to know what caused it/how to fix it. Makes me want to go back to MS Officeā€¦

You could provide the file to test. It looks very strange indeed.

I donā€™t know how to attach the file to this board. Sorry. In the meantime, I copied the sheet in order to send just the one sheet instead of the whole file, and low&behold, the copied sheet has a column A. Itā€™s not the column a listed on the original sheet, however. Iā€™ve screenshots of those sheets if I knew how to post them.

Thanks for posting, Mike K! That was my problem - I couldnā€™t see that column A was actually there!

Untitled 1.odsUntitled 1.ods(/upfiles/15784389723314636.ods)LibreA.jpg.jpg

Here are the screenshots. Iā€™m also going to try to post the sheet, though it will show a column A. Itā€™s NOT the column A on the original, (the one that shows no column a)

Your uploaded .ods file is pointless, if not showing the problem.

Create an empty spreadsheet.
Then hide columns A and B.
You cannot show them after that.
It is a bug that cannot show any hidden front columns.
Hide column C also to prove my point. Try to show columns A to C now. No joy.
It also cannot be shown again

Caution therefore never hide initial columns until this issue has been solved ASAP pleaseā€¦

@Navrae, always works for me with any of the methods already commented and file type, Try with Menu/Help/Restart on Safe Mode and a clean profile, and if it doesnā€™t work please report the issueCreate a bug report

Create an empty spreadsheet. Then hide columns A and B. You cannot show them after that. It is a bug that cannot show any hidden front columns. Hide column C also to prove my point. Try to show columns A to C now. No joy. It also cannot be shown again

Caution therefore never hide initial columns until this issue has been solved ASAP pleaseā€¦
No solution proposed. I have even tried anything like saving it as an MS xlsx file. No joy.

image description

Have the problem as well. Column A disapears (I do not hide it intentionally). It is not possible to show Column A again (I have tried several ways, as selecting the entire table, using mouse to unhide, using FORMAT->COLUMNS->SHOW, ā€¦ none of them worked).
I installed new version 7.5.5.2 on Windows 10 build 22621, it still does not work.
I have seen sample before where unhiding works What I experienced is: having an empty sheet, column A can be shown again. But as soon as there are data in it, column A stays hidden.
Test.ods (8.4 KB)

1. In the Name box, enter A1
  2. Click Format > Columns > Width and enter a value, e.g. 1 cm or tick the box Default Value
1 Like

I open your document which has column A hidden.
Click the grey box above the row headers which selects the entire sheet. Alternatively you may enter the cell address A1 into the name box above, left of the formula bar.
menu:Format>Columns>Show unhides column A.

1 Like

Thanks, yes, after closing and re-opening, both works with my newly created test, unfortunately it does not work with my old spreadsheet, maybe because it was created with an older version.

As a circumvention I create a new spreadsheet document, copy all the sheets of my old document, and of course then I have to redo all the changes I made, like changing default font, creating and assigning page styles, print ranges and so on.

It is also possible that the above solutions do not work because column A may be hidden in another way.
If you scroll in your worksheet so that column B, C etc. are visible and column A is not visible and you set ā€˜freeze rows and columnsā€™ (e.g. in cell C2) you will never be able to see Column A until you unfreeze the rows and columns.

3 Likes