Label Printing From Excel Workbook

Here’s the skinny…

Going through the gyrations of creating and printing labels via database creation and using Excel as the source for my label generation, a peculiar thing happens. The record length is 57 address files long on one sheet in the workbook. When I create the DB and go to print it, only 41 files show up in the mail merge table. If I continue on and go to print, there are 3 pages in the print file with the 2nd page being blank, yet all of the records show on the print preview screen. When I print, 3 pages print with the second being blank, the 3rd only printing 11 labels (total 41.) If I separately print page 1 and 3, all records print. I have recreated all the files in an attempt to resolve it to no avail.

1. Did you apply any filters to restrict the rows to print?
  2. Please upload the source files

Could you try to move to the last row of the records in the mail merge table. Are there really only 41 files or is there shown “41*” (with a ‘*’). Base will only read the data up to this value in the cache.

Which LO-version and which system do you use?

I rechecked today and found the 41* is apparent on the merge table, but for some reason it showed me all 56 records of the file that are to print which it didn’t do yesterday. However, on recreating everything today, the output file for printing still shows page 2 of 3 blank with 30 addresses on page 1 and 27 on page 3.
Using LO 7.2.4.1 (x64) on Win10.

New Database.odb (1.8 KB)

testlabel.odb (2.1 KB)

If you print the whole list the labels will not print in entirety. Additionally, if you print page 1 and 3 separately, all prints fine.

Thank you. Please also upload the ods files.

testlabel.ods (11.1 KB)

This will give the same result. Didn’t want to share personal data.

I am sorry about that. You can mask the data instead of sharing it directly.

I am unable to simulate your use case. I am attaching the .ods and .odb files containing fictitious data. The File > New > Labels generate the entire dataset. The label generation options and writer print options are available in the .odg file.
Is this way you were trying to generate labels? Otherwise, let me know.
Contacts-Screen.odg (71.1 KB)
ContactsList.ods (20.4 KB)
ContactsP.odb (2.1 KB)

The issue is the output file for printing. If you review the print file you should see a blank page for page 2. If you print the file as is, the entire 57 entry list will not print entirely. It will only print correctly if I print individual pages 1 and 3. At the point just before printing, preview the pages.

Okay, do you see “Print Automatically inserted blank pages” enabled? If so, uncheck the option and see if it allows you to print without blank pages?

1 Like

I had to dig deep into the printer settings for that one. It resolved it but, although that resolves the issue, the blank page creation is an error. Had this been a huge mailing list the result would have been undesirable.
To tell the truth, creating labels with LO is a very cumbersome procedure. I don’t like it at all.
Thank you for all of your help. I consider this “resolved.”