Libre Write Send / Document not attachment created in Thunderbird

In Libre Write I click File Send as Document.
Thunderbird is opened and a new email is created

The Email does not have an attachment. The same with Send as Word Document / PDF / Opendocument

How do I use the File / Send function properly?

Save the document first. The document must have an proper URL for attaching to a mail.

thanks. the document is saved as an .odt file.

Which version of LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and operating system?

115.14.0 (64-bit)
Version: 7.6.7.2 (X86_64)
6.10.3-100.fc39.x86_64

the latest versions of all products. not sure how this helps.

:slight_smile: No these aren’t “latest” - at least in case of LibreOffice, the latest is v.24.8.0. But also very important is the OS (that you literally provided the version of, but not the name - which is obviously some flavor of Linux). And that makes a difference, because it means that the problem is in the Linux-specific script, not in Windows-specific SimpleMAPI code.

Note that that is a simple shell script; you may even debug it yourself, and when you discovered the problem, you may contribute the fix back.

And please file a bug report.

I understand. Sending a LibreOffice document is not supported in Fedora

You can always attach the document (or any other file) to the new email. Dragging the file icon into the mail window should work as well.
To submit the full information about your LibreOffice installation, call menu:Help>About… and click the buttoon near “Version Information”. This copies all the info to the clipboard. Apart from different versions, there are container packages (flatpak, Podman) and RPM packages from either the distribution or from the libreoffice.org website.
I think, you are suffering from some kind of container version which does not support all the system components outside its container.

of course I can. But why is there a menu entry that does not seem to work?

Again what do container packages have to do with basic behaviour? It was not a package that added the Send option was it?

Because humans fail.

I understand. Can LibreOffice drop the File / Send menu as it indeed does fail.

In this particular case, it is the package maintainer at Fedora who failed.

No you show you don’t understand, because that wasn’t what I said. What I said was pointing you to the specific script in LibreOffice that does this specific job, and asking you to file a bug report, and possibly to debug it yourself and, if successful, to help us make it better.

No, you show you don’t understand (part 2), because no, it doesn’t fail for everyone, and even not for everyone on Fedora. Additionally, it’s not what people want - removal of a useful functionality; instead, it should be fixed. And also, you seemed to ignore the “report a bug” link, which pointed to a “how to use this Ask site” article, that you of course would do best if read at the moment you started using this site, but also could do that now, to learn that bug reports / feature requests (and even requests to remove something from the software!) are off-topic here.

E.g., a container like Flatpak can limit what one app (e.g., inside the container) can do with another app (outside that container) - e.g., it could be Thunderbird that could have no access to the temporary storage of LibreOffice (where the attachment is kept). It may be something that we could possibly change - if we can reproduce. Say, we can create a logic to detect such a scenario, and use some different paths; or maybe the containers must use different access flags. Who knows without details?

slightly off topic here, but theris one issue with Flatpak-LO and send EMail:
the path /usr/bin/thunderbird isn’t recognized from the flatpak-container, my solution is:

# changing into a directory where flatpak has access:
cd ~/.var/app/org.libreoffice.LibreOffice/data
# create a link to /usr/bin/thunderbird
ln -s /usr/bin/thunderbird thunderbird

and from flatpak-LO:
⇒ Tools ⇒ Options ⇒ Internet ⇒ Email ⇒ ⇒ Email-program: /var/data/thunderbird %u
@mikekaganski: is it a issue for flatpak-maintainer @sberg? or should it a bug-report?

It should be a bug report. @theking21 has just filed one (unfortunately, without useful info allowing to see that’s a container issue - but maybe it’s not easy to see). Stephan is one of our greatest developers (beyond being the maintainer of a package); so the bug is the correct thing from both points of view.

It seems tdf#162632 is not flatpak-related? because the versions from flathub includes Flatpak
with me:

Version: 24.8.0.3 (AARCH64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 0bdf1299c94fe897b119f97f3c613e9dca6be583
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 6.6; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: de-DE (de_DE.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Flatpak  
Calc: threaded

@karolus I have no idea. It wasn’t me who claimed (or even suspected!) any container involvement; I answered how a container could be involved. Of course, it could be something different - which is what the bug report should find out.

it is by design that a flatpak app can’t use symlinks to break out of its sandbox

see https://github.com/flathub/org.libreoffice.LibreOffice/issues/92 “Can’t send attachments from LO”

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=162632

1 Like

Really guys. I emphesize but I
Installed Fedora
Installed Thunderbird
Installed LibreOffice

used an option from LibreOffice and got a failure. What does LibreOffice expect from its user base? Clairvoyance? On Fedora with Thunderbird as mail client the LibreOffice Send/as Document function does not work as advertised? What happened to ¨Libre Office is a modern, easy-to-use productivity suite"? It is neither modern nor easy to use, nor productive.