I fail to see how that could be possible. Also, IMHO such behaviour was never submitted as bug. One should assume if that was a common behaviour it should had shown up as a bug report. If it happened only for specific function names then it may have been a translation error where the “word” of a function included a leading space. But then again the parser should had eaten that before… What UI language with translated function names were you using, if any?
I have a similar issue with a ODS where the formulas don’t work but what I have noticed is despite explicitly Ctrl+1 set Category: All, set Format: General, OK., it doesn’t change the format of the column from Text and formulas still don’t work.
If you select a cell range that already has multiple different number formats assigned then invoking the number formatter displays General and selecting the General format will not change anything. You either need to temporarily set an explicit other format and after that invoke the number formatter dialog again on the same selection and set the General format, or remove all attribution on the selected cell range with Ctrl+M or context menu Clear Direct Formatting.
Note also that you have to re-enter a formula (editing the cell and appending and removing a blank is sufficient, or for a cell range with Find&Replace replacing = with = achieves the same) after the Text format was removed because the cell content is still text, not formula.
In my case (LibreOffice 220.127.116.11 on Linux Mint), it helped to reload the spreadsheet. Just click on menu File and hit Reload. You should see your formulas calculated, at least I managed to see them again. Nevertheless it is a bug that should be fixed.