Libreoffice won't save sheetreferences readable by Excel

Hi All

I’m using LibreOffice, Thank you. And I have to share a spreadsheet with Excel users.
The Excel users see functions with an extra ‘@’ sign. After removing the sign it works.

Has anyone experienced this before?
What should we do?

I know a solution is for me to use Excel, But I don’t want to.

Below function looks up a value(E2) in another sheet, then returns the value in column(C) of the matched row in the sheet(other_sheet).

=IF(ISBLANK($E2),"",INDEX($other_sheet.$C$2:$C$999,MATCH(1,($E2=$other_sheet.$A$2:$A$999),0)))

It works for me in libreoffice. But Excel users see a different function when they open the file. I tried sending .xlsx and .ods

=IF(ISBLANK($E2),"",INDEX(@other_sheet.$C$2:$C$999,MATCH(1,($E2=@other_sheet.$A$2:$A$999),0)))

Then they get a function which shows nothing.

Let’s check together.

1. In LibreOffice, in a new book, create Sheet1 and otherSheet.
  2. In cell A1 of Sheet1, enter your formula:
=IF(ISBLANK($E2);"";INDEX($other_sheet.$C$2:$C$999;MATCH(1;($E2=$other_sheet.$A$2:$A$999);0)))
  1. Save the file as Example.ods (attached).
  2. Open the file in Excel (my version is Excel 2016). The sheet name in the formula is shown normally.

Example.ods (7.8 KB)

Another aspect of the problem is that if we plan to share the workbook with Excel users, we need to take into account that Excel has a logical data type, but Calc does not. Therefore, it is better to write your formula as an array formula (enter Ctrl+Shift+Enter):

=IF(ISBLANK($E2);"";INDEX($other_sheet.$C$2:$C$999;MATCH(TRUE();($E2=$other_sheet.$A$2:$A$999);0)))

In this form, the formula should work in both Calc and Excel.

I’ll give it a try
thanks
Example.ods (14.7 KB)

After replacing ‘1’ by ‘TRUE()’
it kept working in libreoffice, but it doesn’t work in Excel

It says:
Error: value not available (translated, the borrowed Excel is in Dutch)

edit:
Retrying with saving with ctrl+shift+enter

You’re right the @ problem isn’t currently showing anymore.
Probably fixed since I switched the file to .ods.

I’ve done some extra test.
Example.xlsx (7.5 KB)
Example.ods (14.7 KB)

I’ve saved and opened both(.ods & .xlsx) in libreoffice and excel

• When reopening the .xlsx file in libreoffice it automatically places a $ in the function before the sheetname, if there isn’t one. This is an observation. It doesn’t seem to matter.

I have found a problem with the match function.

# This works: libreoffice.ods & libreoffice.xlsx & excel.ods & excel.xlsx
=IF(ISBLANK($C3),"",INDEX($other_sheet.$D$2:$D$1000,MATCH($C3,$other_sheet.$C$2:$C$1000,0)))

# This works: libreoffice.ods & libreoffice.xlsx
=IF(ISBLANK($C3),"",INDEX($other_sheet.$D$2:$D$1000,MATCH(1,($C3=$other_sheet.$C$2:$C$1000),0)))

# This works: libreoffice.ods & libreoffice.xlsx
=IF(ISBLANK($C3),"",INDEX($other_sheet.$D$2:$D$1000,MATCH(1,($C3=$other_sheet.$C$2:$C$1000)*($B3=$other_sheet.$F$2:$F$1000),0)))

Libreoffice works, Excel doesn’t

I think I have to find a way to write the double match in a different way, and keep it working on libreoffice while also supporting excel.