Unable to open 7.4 docs with 7.6 version loaded

my computer was hacked and I had to switch to my backup.

I downloaded the newer 7.6 version and attempted to open the docs had on my backup drive which were processed on 7.4 version the docs would not open (restore “failed”). When I attempted to revert to the 7.4 download I found this:

https://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/7.4.7/win/x86_64/LibreOffice_7.4.7_Win_x64.msi

and no download of the 7.4 available.

What do I do now?

Download archive

Thank you. Found a mirror from one line there and downloaded.
Now…please…
Once open in 7.4 how do I transfer files to 7.6 once that upgrade is downloaded?

Sorry but the 7.4 download failed because there was no mirror for the HELP file apparently. IDK. It downloaded as a text file and no way to run it.

I’ve just rechecked that download archive and there is no mirror for the helpfile.

…at least not one I can see, perhaps I am in error.

Try:

Select older LibreOffice version from archive

Thanks. Already tried this and no mirror available. See above.

However, still wondering–if and when this may be accomplished–how I might transfer open 7.4 docs to 7.6 version? Might you know? Thanks in advance.

LibreOffice can load 20+ years old files from various office suites, and the native file format “Open Document Format” (ODF) never changes drastically.

Could it be that you backed up corrupted documents from a corrupted computer?

I suppose it could be but how would I know? Is there a way to find out?

Plus, these were saved on an external drive that were there prior to the attack–if it was an attack. and I have some difficulty believing these particular files were corrupted. But, based on what you are saying, I am going to test some other files on some other drives the were not associated. Thanks.

Rename some ODF file (odt, ods, odp etc) or some OOXML file (docx, xlsx, pptx) so it has a .zip suffix. Try to open the file with a zip tool. ODF documents and OOXML are technically zip archives.

Thanks. This may be a step beyond me. I added a zip extension to Firefox and renamed a file to zip…but nothing happened when I tried to open it except that it attempted unsuccessfully to open in Firefox.
However, I also tried to open a file on a thumb drive that was nowhere near the incident and had the same result, meaning that this is not occurring, apparently, because of corrupted files due to the incident.

Plus, and thanks again, I have attempted opening various .XXX files of different ages from different sources, produced from either LO or MS, all with the same results. All now with the downloaded 7.6 version.

At this point, the only solution I can think of–horror of horrors–is signing up for Microsoft Office and letting WORD solve the problem.
Is anyone out there able to rescue me from this nightmare?

Why would you try to open files on a backup with LibreOffice? Surely, to save the integrity of the backup, you restore the files to a drive and open the files from there.

If you cannot open existing files with LibreOffice 7.6 then I would look to your anti virus settings. You need to add soffice.bin to the allowed list in the anti ransomware settings

Thanks but I’m on a different computer now and the virus is not the problem, apparently.

I am referring to the antivirus program blocking LibreOffice. If you have Windows Defender, then this Microsoft Knowledge Base article might help, Customize controlled folder access | Microsoft Learn

For Avast or AVG, this might help Using the Blocked & Allowed apps settings screen in Avast Antivirus | Avast

Thank you, I will look into this now that you’ve made me aware. As you may recall from our previous encounter, this is not my strong suit. If I add s.offce-bin (figure out how to do so) and it is the case that the stored files (stored on the Seagate drive which was plugged into the previous computer) are infected with the virus; a virus which, so far my Norton antivirus has not detected, will they not contaminate the current computer if allowed to be opened? I believe that was the crux of the “ransomeware” attack. And Defender did nothing there (on the original computer). My alternate fear is that there was no virus at all but a scam conducted to weasel $300 out of my credit card account in order to “fix” a problem that some scam artist had created. A “virus” that wasn’t actually a “virus” at all.