Unwanted periods . in headings (LO Writer)

Dear Community,

I’m getting unwanted periods at the beginning of all my headings in LO writer. I can’t manually delete these periods. Any ideas what’s going on or how to fix it?

Here’s an example:
LO_PeriodHeadings_Example.odt

Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS

Version: 7.1.3.2 / LibreOffice Community

Build ID: 12a8e3cbd24a3757385a302d290655d4f3c7ebf1

CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3

Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US

Calc: threaded

Here’s a similar question, but the answer doesn’t solve my problem: Libre Writer unwanted .appearing throughout my document. why?

Many thanks!

Similar question was already answered but I can’t retrieve it for now.

Your document was initially written with M$ Word and subsequently converted as can be seen from the numerous WWW8Num1z* character styles and the Convert * page styles. Since Word has a much less rigorous definition of its format, the conversion process did its best but this resulted in some errors and approximations.

One of these errors is the “pollution” of the chapter numbering feature where a dot is added after the number. In your case the number is “none” but this is nevertheless a (void) number. You wouldn’t have noticed it if you had a real chapter number.

To fix, open Tools>Chapter Numbering, Numbering tab and remove the After Separator in the affected levels (1-3).

You can also replace the WWW8Num1z* Character styles with None to avoid future problems, should you decide later to number your chapters.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer which is reserved for solutions) or comment the relevant answer.

1 Like

M$ strikes again!

This worked perfectly and was so simple. Thank you for your help.

Using some of the keywords in your answer, I was able to find a similar, previously answered question (also answered by ajlittoz): 265271/how-to-remove-leading-dot-from-heading

Not able to upvote since I don’t have enough points…

Thanks for finding my previous answer.

Upvoted for you.