Why does numbering not work as expected?

I want this:

1 Headline 1
…1.1 Headline 2
…§1 Headline 3
…§2 Headline 3
…§3 Headline 3
…1.2 Headline 2
…§4 Headline 3 (this is starting with 1, regardles of start-anew-setting)
…§5 Headline 3
2 Headline 1
…§6 Headline 3 (same here)

How can I define headline 3 to NOT start anew but instead count thru the whole document?

I indented your list, to make it more clear how you want your list.

For your purposes you need 2 different numbering styles. My example used a modified Numbering 123 and a derived Paragraph style. When the styles sidebar shows you only may double click on one of the styles (in the adequate paragraph) and the numbering continues…

How do I change this? When I select templates (styles) and click on headline 3, the fields in the numbering tab are all readonly exept the two checkboxes at line-numbering.

Your question is incomplete. You did not mention if your Headline 1 & 2 are part of the headings collected in the TOC. Also, do you also want to collect your Headline 3 into the TOC?

Formally, as @Grantler pointed out, you have two independent lists: one for combined Headline 1 & 2 which looks to me like headings (chapter, sub-chapter, etc.) in a document, and a second list for a cumulative summary or synthetic group of statements.

The first list can handily be formatted with paragraph styles Heading n (n = 1 for Headline 1 and n = 2 for Headline 3). Create a separate paragraph style for your Headline 3. For example, you can use built-in Numbering 1 after associating it with a list style in its Outline & Numbering tab, menu Numbering style. In case you also want your Headline 3 in the TOC, choose the TOC level in menu Outline level in the same tab.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

(Two demos attached below) I think this is easiest to learn with method 1, but method 2 which is quite similar adds more flexibility.

---------- METHOD 1

Step 1 – create the headings

Headline 1
Headline 2
Headline 3
Headline 3
Headline 3
Headline 2
Headline 3
Headline 3
Headline 1
Headline 3

Step 2 – Mark all lines and select Toggle number list icon

1. Headline 1  
2. Headline 2  
3. Headline 3  
4. Headline 3  
5. Headline 3  
6. Headline 2  
7. Headline 3  
8. Headline 3  
9. Headline 1  
10. Headline 3  

Step 3 – Use tab at beginning of lines to indent (change the ‘level’ of various headlines) (Shift Tab to shift left)
For now these are all set to List 1, so 2. 1. is wrong. We’ll change that below.

1. Headline 1  
    1. Headline 2  
        1. Headline 3  
        2. Headline 3  
        3. Headline 3  
    2. Headline 2  
        1. Headline 3  
        2. Headline 3  
2. Headline 1  
        1. Headline 3  

Step 4 – For this demo, set first line back to 1
i.e. in LO 6.2: (Right click on First headline, then Paragraph – Paragraph – Outline & numbering – Numbering – restart at this paragraph

1. Headline 1  
    1. Headline 2  
        1. Headline 3  
        2. Headline 3  
        3. Headline 3  
    2. Headline 2  
        1. Headline 3  
        2. Headline 3  
2. Headline 1  
        1. Headline 3  

Step 5a – View Styles, (if not already on)

Step 5b – Under Styles and Formatting, select ‘List styles’ tab.
Step 5c – Right click on List 1 and select modify. and then outline, and select the upper left option (which almost is what you need) and save

Step 6a – Then click on List 2 and select modify, and then customize. Choose level 3. Change it to number 1, 2, 3…, and set prefix to §. And save.

Step 7 – Click all below and double click List 1.
Step 7b – Select level 3 headings below and click List 2.

1. Headline 1  
     1.1. Headline 2  
        §1 Headline 3  
        §2 Headline 3  
        §3 Headline 3  
     1.2. Headline 2  
        §4 Headline 3  
        §5 Headline 3  
 2. Headline 1  
        §6 Headline 3

List demo.odt

---------- METHOD 2

Use styles as suggested by commenter.

List demo 2.odt

OK, that’s the idea. But your proposal has several design flaws likely to cause problems later.

• All your paragraphs are Default Style paragraph style. This style should never be used for text body. You should have use either Heading n or List 1 for headlines 1 & 2, and List 2 for headlines 3.
  • Step 2: you transform the paragraphs into list with toolbar button, this is direct formatting which should by every means be avoided
  • Steps 5c & 6a: you suggest shortcut to preset parameters in 5c while you set parameters in “manual mode” in 6a (minor but inconsistent)
  • Step 7: again direct formatting instead of customising the paragraph style (which you can’t do because all are Default Style)

You get the desired result, but that should be considered experimentation. In the final document, this should be translated into dedicated styles. Thus a simple style application replaces all your steps. Simpler, more robust, more reliable.

@ajlittoz, thanks for the feedback and opinions. Glad for it.

@EasyTrieve: now you got it (method 2).

When looking at your h1, h2 and h3 para styles, they are similar to Heading 1-3. Then to spare some pain, why not use the built-in styles (with some customisation if needed)? What I don’t like in your List 1-2 list styles is the space in Before position (but this is personal taste and others may have other preferences). Lastly, your comments are still in Default Style, urging you to vertically space with empty paragraphs (bad habit).

Anyway, you’re in progress. Keep on.