Writer: how to change the external tool to edit images

Hi, when I try to edit an image by right clicking “edit with an external tool” it takes me to an application that I woul like to change but I can’t understand how to di it. To be clear: it no longer offers me the list of possible alternative applications
How can I do?
I am using Libreoffice 6.3.3.2

You have to set this in your operating system. Example Windows: Here you can define for each image file type (jpg, png etc.) with which standard program should be opened.

Ok, it works, but I woul like to make my choise as needed every time I need

1 Like

As already mentioned, it is a problem of your operating system, not of LibreOffice.

This is a non-sensical proposal. If I click “edit with external tool” I do not want to “open” the document but “edit” it. I do not want to set image editor as a default tool to “open” images, as it takes ages to load. There are image viewers and image editors which are two complete different types of software. The image viewer is often a system tool, or something like infranview. The image editor is GIMP or Photoshop.

1 Like

This is a non-sensical comment. If a user asked a question, and another user provided something that worked, and the asker said “it works”, it can’t be “a non-sensical proposal”. But commenting like @lacek did can only someone who does not understand where one should file bug reports and enhancement requests.

First of all this reply is super-rude. Second you manipulate the quotes. Basically he did not say “Ok, it works” but “Ok, it works, but …” followed by explanation why the proposed solution works. You are a sad example why linux fora are a scary place, as “established” people behave the way you do.

1 Like

@lacek No. I do not “manipulate quotes”. And no, it’s not my reply “super-rude”, but yours.

You commented something that @Hrbrgr proposed. And that proposal was (1) provided to try to help the original asker; (2) by someone who is another user (so not in a position to change the program); (3) on a site that is intended to help people make their job done, even if by workarounds… and (4) it was at least working, even though wasn’t exactly what would be ideal. And you started with “This is a non-sensical proposal”. The “it works” is crucial here, when one decides if this could be “non-sensical” or not, not the “it would be even finer if X or Y or Z”.

“It works” != “It works, but”. “and you started” xD And you had to finish with personal attack, right? Why are you interested who I am or if I can submit a bug report or not? I ciricized the matter not the person, you did the opposite.

I have no intent of communicating with you further.

To edit with Gimp, copy the image, Gimp->File->Create->From Clipboard. Then edit the image using Gimp, then export, then in LibreofficeWriter->Replace with the exported image. What a bother!

In my operating syste, (Linux/KDE) when I open a file with a left click, I get the default app, when I I open it with a right click I get a choice of apps. Why not make LibreOffice do the same?

1 Like

This is not an answer, rather a complaint, then of-topic.

Any feature request should go to https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/ in order to reach developers. Here we are only users helping users.

To edit with Gimp, copy the image, Gimp > Ctrl+Shift+V.

It works better than “right click > edit with external tool”, so it is still a useful answer, since that official solution conflates “default program for viewing images” and “default program for editing images”.

But yes, definitely something that could be reported as an enhancement request.

1 Like

Of course it is a little bit surprising that “Edit with external tool” is displayed. It should be displayed something like “Open with default application”.
In my case, “Image Viewer” is opened (default) and the good news is that if you right click again but this time from “Image Viewer” from within the same image (or whatever you are trying to edit) then you can click on “Open With” and edit with “Pinta” (or another application) and save from withing Pinta (and close Pinta and close “Image Viewer”). A little bit heavy it is true. This way you don’t have to change the default (“Image Viewer”) that cannot edit an image. My 2 cents.

1 Like

Good point!
The image viewer Irfanview mentioned by @lacek has three positions (Shift+1, 2, or 3) to define external editors, enough for PhotoShop, GIMP and one other. Choose as desired with keyboard or menu

I am using Linux Mint and Libreoffice.
Libreoffice uses Default application selected for opening Photos.
Usually it uses Image Viewer as default thus Libreoffice Opens Images in Image Viewer
In order to let Libreoffice use GIMP for image editing [ when used option of " Edit with External Tool " ] , Make GIMP your Preferred Application for opening Image files.

In Linux Mint, Go to Start → Preferences --. Preferred Applications → in Photos , Select GIMP .

Now when you click on Edit with External Tool, Image will get opened directly in GIMP.
Edit the image and overwrite / save as it is , then automatically updated image will be shown up in Libreoffice …

Could you please improve your post by mentioning your desktop manager? Your trick happens to be specific to the desktop in use.

Under KDE Plasma, the equivalent stance seems to be “OS menu”>Configuration>System Settings, then Applications>Default Applications. Unfortunately, the application list is fixed and cannot be extended to include a new category like “photos” or “Images”.

I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon .
I have no idea where default apps are set up in KDE , but sure there has to be some way to do it. Find out on KDE help forums !