Calc: Change what's in a list box based on what's selected in another list box?

See the example file. How would I get making a selection in the D1 list box to populate the F1 list box with the relevant information? Please don’t rearrange or move anything. It’s made that way for a reason, to represent the project file. If this needs a macro I need to be able to edit the macro to tell it where the list boxes, linked cells, and ranges are.
Dynamic_Listboxes_Example_File.ods (8.7 KB)

The project file is too large for the site.

so its ready for production:

Dynamic_Listboxes.ods (12.8 KB)

1 Like

http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/download/file.php?id=333

Who in their right mind would click on a link to a downloadable file from another site that has no description text explaining what it’s supposed to be? I’m not stupid enough to click such links and it’s been reported as inappropriate.

1 Like

@ Bort, @Villeroy is a very qualified participant. Treat him as a leader.

1 Like

If they’re only going to post a link for a download with no description at all nobody knows who they are or what the link is. That is malicious behavior. It’s also extremely lazy, nonsensical, and does not answer the question.

No I will not treat someone that doesn’t act like a leader that’s too lazy to type anything at all as a leader or with any respect. Laziness is not a respectable quality and definitely should not be followed. They didn’t even give the courtesy or respect of typing anything at all as an answer.

I spent the time creating an example file, which is really not necessary, and writing text to explain my question.

Disgusting, lazy. I’m not stupid enough to click links that don’t have a description from people I have no idea who they are. They’re no “leader”. They surely don’t act like one.

In this particular case, in vain. It was he who repeatedly helped me in difficult cases. And the answers will come: it’s too early (I’m in a hurry myself).

This is not a discussion forum.

@Bort is trying to enforce their rules on regulars of this site, flagging things right and left, criticizing honest attempts to help, and discouraging people from being contributors here. I see this inappropriate - by the ethics of any reasonable community. Please don’t do that. This is a friendly advise.

2 Likes

I flagged inappropriate content as per the posted guidelines because it truly is malicious behavior, then was moderated by someone who is not a moderator who posted off-topic discussion, and they continued doing that. I’m new as other users might be. I don’t know who these people are. It’s a common and very wise practice to not click links that have no description from people you don’t know. and you’re disciplining ME?!?!?!

Talk about discouraging new users and participation. Disciplining people following the rules and flagging violation of rules is a great way to discourage new users from using the site. Good job complaining about doing your job!

I asked a question. I’d like an answer. Not an off-topic discussion or being told not to follow rules that are specifically stated.

Answering with something useful is never a “truly malicious behavior”. It might be not ideal; it may be reasonable to improve such an answer. However, any new user is expected at least to respect others, and not start flagging/bashing others.

There is a difference between:

Thank you for your answer; however, the link there is not accompanied by a description, and seems to lead to some direct download. I am not inclined to click such links; could you please describe what is it for?

and

You are a criminal who is doing wrong!!! I know the TRUTH!!! I don’t care about anything except my supreme knowledge how to behave!!11111

1 Like

And after all this off-topic and inappropriate nonsense that’s made me feel very unwelcome here (for following rules) I get a “welcome” badge???
Another good way to discourage people from using the site.

I’m not going to bother replying to someone who was too lazy to type a description for their link in the first place. I don’t know who that person is. I spent the time, following rules, creating a sample file they were also too lazy to bother clicking on and using so why in the world should someone click their link to another file that could be infested with a virus for all they know?

How about providing an answer to my question?

I am not clicking that link. I don’t know what it is and it’s probably not the solution I’m looking for.

You have your problem. You spending that time is normal (however it indeed is great!). But that doesn’t entitles you to bash others for not following those rules, until you really know them. Yes you don’t know them (yet) - but if anyone comes to your place, and starts telling that they don’t care who you are, it’s not an appropriate from them, even if you were a bit lazy.

I am done here; please consider my advise. Hope you get an improved useful answer.

1 Like

And now you’re putting words in my mouth. I never said anything like “I don’t care who you are”.
Read my text.

How 'bout an answer to my question?
Instead of this nonsense. You’re not going to win here, dude. You’re wrong.
I’m not going to change practices that have kept me safe and my computers healthy for 30 years because some person I don’t know suggests I do that.

Start wearing your pants backwards. There’s the same kind of instruction from someone you don’t know you’ll refuse to follow too. Get it?

Please provide an answer to my question so I can be through with this nonsense and get on with my project.

Yeah this site has been completely useless so far since it’s been changed to be ugly, buggy, and have annoying text formatting that makes no sense. All I’ve gotten from it since the change is crap, garbage, nonsense like this.

Good way to discourage people from using the site.

And no thanks to you all for ruining my question with all this nonsense. I probably won’t get a useful answer now with all this crap carrying on here.

If it doesn’t have to be list boxes, it’s easy.
You could use data → validity.

The following video is in German, but shows exactly what you need.

Voneinander abhängige Dropdown-Listen

Dynamic_Listboxes_Example_File.ods (13,1 KB)

Thanks, PKG.

I don’t understand German. I’m not able to follow that video and the example doesn’t work with the list boxes that are there that I have to work with. The content can’t be changed in any way.

Is there not a way to do it with the control list boxes that are already in my example file? Is there a way I can use the validation code in your example on them? The people this is for won’t know those kind of boxes are there unless there’s a way to make the arrow for them display permanently.

I downloaded the file at the original link. Here is a screenshot. Hope it helps. It linked to an old openoffice file that shows how to use dynamic validation.

Thank you! As I asked in reply to PKG’s example that looks like it does the same exact thing; can’t this be done with the much nicer form control list boxes? As I explained people that are going to use this file won’t know there are list boxes there if the arrow isn’t always there. They don’t know excel / calc at all so they won’t know to click to get the list arrow to appear and there isn’t anywhere I can place text near them to say “click here”. The examples are really close! But don’t work with the list boxes I have to work with. I need something that does it to form control list boxes.