Libre Draw is putting a thick white frame around every image I import or paste

NEW UPDATE: No, I didn’t solve it. Yesterday I thought it was solved. But Today it’s doing the same thing, putting thick frames around every imported or pasted image. :frowning_face:

UPDATE: I think I solved the problem. FORMAT- LINE. STYLE-- “Continuous” was selected. when I select NONE the white frame problem disappears. Very strange that a setting like that would cause a white frame.

I’ve been struggling with this problem for over 24 hours. I’ve searched everywhere and can’t find a solution. Here’s the weird part: it’s only doing it in this one document. It doesn’t do this with other Libre ODG documents, and it doesn’t do it with PNG files.

I figured it might have something to do with layers but whatever layer i paste or import the image in, the same thing happens. I’m trying to paste/import simple line images from other apps. Some have backgrounds that I made transparent, others don’t.

Yes, I’m a beginner with this program.

Libre Draw 7.3.0.3 (x86) is what I’m using. Windows 7.

Thanks for any help!

Upload your document here so that someone can look at it and examine it. Thank you.

And please enter your operating system. Thank you.

I spoke too soon. The problem is not solved. It seemed to be solved yesterday, but today the same frame around the image is happening, though sometimes it’s black not white. This is driving me crazy :unamused:

What?
pic_107177.odg (48.7 KB)

I don’t want to post the file that I’m working on because it’s private. However, I have made another ODG file out of some art I found on the internet and I will post that to demonstrate the problem. All of the lines that I tried to paste from Paint.Net, or insert (from PNG file) into this ODG file have transparent backgrounds, but they show up with an unwanted white frame around them. I hope someone can help.

Alien–16.odg (73.1 KB)

Why do you try paste lines from Paint.Net?
I suspect you don’t understand the technology.

Just describe what exactly you want to achieve after you have inserted the image in Draw. Thank you.

I also tried pasting from Windows Paint. You’re right, I probably don’t understand the tech. I am trying to make speed lines to give a cartoon character the illusion of fast motion. I made them in Paint.net or sometimes in Windows Paint accessory, because I find that easier and the choice of paintbrushes is better. But whichever program I use, I get the white frame around the lines when I try to insert them into my LIbre Draw layout.

Yes, this is normal because the line is inserted as an object. The object does not have a boundary at the colored lines but at the outer dimensions used as space. Furthermore, Paint or Paint-Net is a painting program and Draw is a drawing program. There are huge differences in the technology of the programs and how they are used.

Three Workarounds

1. edit your image in Paint or Paint-Net only.

2. Draw your lines in Paint and save all lines as PNG with transparency, if Paint allows this. Then you can insert it into Draw.

3. if you have inserted the image in Draw, try working with the Draw tools. For example, you can use the freehand line in the Draw toolbar or work with Bezier curves.

[3.)] Here I have added some freehand lines from Draw so you can see what you can do with Draw. But please don’t expect perfect lines from me.

107177 HB Alien--16

107177 HB Alien–16.odg (68,3 KB)

Thanks for the ideas. I know i can use the Draw Freehand tool but it’s not so good because it can’t draw lines that taper at the ends, which looks better for speed lines. Also I keep having to click the Freeform Line tool over and over again to make another attempt, which is annoying. It should stay selected.

I just discovered that Draw’s Color Replacer can make those white frames transparent. That’s very good.

I also wonder why yesterday I was able to just select lines from Paint.net with the magic wand so I didn’t use the selection box and they came out without a white frame in Draw. What did I do differently yesterday? :thinking:

The good thing about Windows Paint (I have an older version, which I hear is better than the newer versions) is that I can draw a straight line and then bend it easily, without having to understand bezier curves.

Actually I am trying to draw white speed lines to go on a dark background, but making them white is not so easy. They seem to disappear.

Double-click on the icon to use it multiple times.
And end with Esc.

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

You can use shapes instead of lines, for example an elongated trapezoidal shape with effects.

107177 HB Alien--16_02

107177 HB Alien–16_02.odg (71,2 KB)

Thanks Hrbrgr!

I am still struggling with this. The other day I used the color replacer on the white frames and it made the frames disappear. But today it doesn’t do it. I have multiple image inserts in my layout that don’t have white frames. How did I achieve this? I know that sometimes I selected a line in Gimp or Paint.Net and somehow, I was able to copy and paste it into Libre Draw without any white frame showing. There must be a way, and I am stumped.

I’ve noticed that when I OPEN the image file, it doesn’t have these white frames. It’s only when I INSERT the file that it has them. But if I open the file in a new window and then drag it into the other window that has my layout, the frames appear.

I think all the images I inserted were PNGs

I don’t no!
It is also not a problem with LibreOffice!
LibreOffice can only receive what you send in.

I’ve now confirmed that when I select the line in GIMP and copy it and paste it into a NEW document in Libre Draw, or insert it as a PNG image, it does not have this white frame. Also confirmed with other Libre documents and other PNGs. But if I paste or insert it into the layout that I’m having difficulty with, it has the white frame. Something about my troubled document is causing this to happen.

I just did “Save a copy” to see if the copy has same problem. The copy had same problem.

But when I did “Select All” and pasted it into a new document, problem disappeared. So I hope I can now complete this layout. But it is very strange behavior!