FontWorks Not Working Properly

I am attempting to use Fontworks but the format of what I type in keeps changing as I change the size of the letters. Lets say I simply want to use the “Simple” fontworks to make a large letter A for my kid to do a craft. I type A in the fontworks area and then go to enlarge the letter. As the letter enlarges, the A turns into an L, and its a totally different font from the one I picked. Is there a reason this happens?? I checked every setting I know to look at and no matter what I click or change, the A always turns into an L when I try to size it up.

I am using it within the Draw program on a brand new Windows computer. I just installed Libre Office yesterday, so it is up to date. I’ve tried several different fonts and they all alter when sizing up. I did not have this issue on my old computer, which had just updated libre office a few days before switching over.

Sample file.odg (12.6 KB)

Version: 7.6.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 69edd8b8ebc41d00b4de3915dc82f8f0fc3b6265
CPU threads: 16; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22621; UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: CL threaded

Please attach a sample file with the issue, and paste the information in Menu/Help/About LibreOffice, there is an icon to copy.
Edit your question to add the sample and the information.

I was able to edit to add an image to illustrate what I am seeing. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the program since typing my initial question, but the issue is still occurring. I’m still trying to figure out how to place the question where you mentioned.

Sorry, but an image, it’s not a sample file.
And lack of the Help/About LibreOffice information.

I am not sure what you are wanting me to upload? I don’t see anywhere to click on the path Menu/Help/About LibreOffice. Where should I see that? When I click the Help section there is nowhere that says “About Libre Office.” I am not very tech savvy, so any guidance is helpful. (Ok, I did find it. I hadn’t downloaded the offline help tool yet, and once I did, the About section popped up).

I did upload a file with the fontwork Y from the image. When I enlarge the Y on my computer it becomes a 6 like shown in the image.

Not in mine

Use [F10] to see the menu bar.

How do you change the size?

I tried changing the size using the mouse to drag it larger from the corner and using the settings within “position and size” Every time it changes the Y. The font of the Y displayed in your image does not match the font being typed. That is another issue. I want the font I picked, not some random other font. The letters that don’t outright change letters do not retain their original font when enlarged. The font changes. I need the large chunky block style font for my project. I can’t have it change when I enlarge it, as it won’t work for my project. Below is what the letter B does. The smaller one is Arial Black. When I enlarge it to fill the page the font isn’t the same.

I see the problems too. For me it is a bug. Apache OpenOffice does not show this behavior.

For your project you can workaround it. Write the letter in a text box using 96pt, e.g. Then use the command “Convert to contour” from the context menu of the text box. Now you can enlarge it as you like and set line color and area fill to get the appearance as in “Simple” fontwork. After converting to contour it is no longer text, that is the downside.

2 Likes

I see this behaviour in 7.3.1.3 and 7.6.0.3 but not in 6.4.7.2 where it scales correctly

Version: 7.6.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 69edd8b8ebc41d00b4de3915dc82f8f0fc3b6265
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22621; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-NZ (en_NZ); UI: en-GB
Calc: CL threaded

An alternative to Regina’s suggestion is to type the letters and modify the font size to that required (600 pt shown) and then click Format > Character > Font Effects and tick the box Outline

Cheers, Al

2 Likes

I need bolder lines than the outline function gives, unless I have missed a way to change their thickness. I did download the oldest version I could from the website, but it still caused the scaling problems. I was, however, able to solve my problem by installing the version from my old laptop onto my new laptop.

Ok, I see the matter now.
With the sample file, for the figure, reducing its size with the lower right button, it appears with the correct font.
Not for all fonts, the change occurs with the same size.

you may not found the link on the word archive in the sentence

Older versions of LibreOffice (no longer updated!) are available in the archive

Versions available down to 3.3.0.4

https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/

I have written 157173 – Enlarging Fontwork shape replaces used font for the problem.

2 Likes

@Regina
On LinuxMint I could not reproduce this bug. I used your example file downloaded from bugzilla - and Draw regularly behaved as anticipated. See screenshot…
Probably only a Windows problem?
Also no problem in using the sample file of @Neyephe.

Version: 7.5.6.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 50(Build:2)
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: de-DE (de_DE.UTF-8); UI: de-DE
Ubuntu package version: 4:7.5.6~rc2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~lo1
Calc: threaded

posicion y tamaño no funciona para fontwork.
position and size does not work for fontwork.

Relacionado: 157173 – La ampliación de la forma de Fontwork reemplaza la fuente usada

Libreoffice 7.6.2
Windows 10 Home 22H2
Intel(R) Core™2 Duo CPU T6600 a 2,20 GHz 2,20 GHz
Ram 4,00 GB

When dragging corner handlers outward:
imagen
Version: 7.4.7.2 (x86) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 723314e595e8007d3cf785c16538505a1c878ca5
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 6.1 Service Pack 1 Build 7601; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: es-MX (es_MX); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

1 Like

Sorry,

The truth is that the two errors, the solved one and this one, appeared at the same time, so I thought they were related.

Position and size not working for fontwork

When you insert a fontwork, the position and size dialog box does not work, you have to go to the text, click on it and in the highlighted boxes if left. but if you want to put certain angles and positions you cannot from the dialogue, I encourage you to check it and know how to ask the question correctly or where to direct it so that the technicians or collaborators can report the error.

I want to do it directly from that menu option, it is no longer possible so I consider it an error.I consider it a regression.

I am sorry if it is not written correctly, I do not speak English and I use a translator, and I do not want the words to be misinterpreted, I do not trust translators. :sweat_smile:

Thanks and regards.

I don’t mean to use it and apply it, I mean that in the old versions I did it live, you turned the turning wheel and the figure rotated at the same time and once you wanted to leave it, you applied it. Now you turn it and it doesn’t move, you only do it if you apply or give OK, I don’t know if you understand me.

In this video at minute 9:17 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6IjTrojKo0

It happens between LO 7.1 and LO 7.2. Not only the rotation wheel is missing but the position too. But you have got a new section “Fontwork”.

1 Like

Thank you all for the comments and you are right, they eliminated those options in the new versions. The fact is that it cannot be done live and see the changes before applying to everything else, colors, plot and other property options, the new fontwork sidebar option is very reduced in functions.

Please, if anyone is interested and can publish it on your behalf or however you want to do it on bugzilla, I will be very grateful.

Thanks and greetings to all.